variable speed positive displacement pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• variable speed positive displacement pump

Does anyone here have any experience in the food industry? I make Pies, lots of them!I am thinking of building a unit with a variable speed positive displacement pump to fill them.I would like your input on what sort of pump to use etc
    The unit would have to deliver amounts around 180- 220grams in a stop start motion as we make 72 pies on the bench at once and would need a small gap between deposits to allow for moving from one to the next.We make various fruit pies as well as quite a few different meat pies some with large chunks of meat in them,so the pump would have to be able to handle this without squashing the filling,there are commercial units available but the price is around 15 thousand AUD which I think is a bit much for a hopper,pump and hose
    Thanks in advance
    Will

What about using a screw shaft meat grinder. Just build the hopper and remove the cutters. They come prepowered or power of your choice.

Comment

Check your local health code. Most places in the world require anything that commes in contacts with food has to be made in a certain way (easy to clean and sterilize), made of certain materials (Lead is out), and pass approvals by health authorities.

I'm sure there's a product dispenser on the market that meets your requirements spitting out a fixed amount of goo at the pull of a trigger. The local pieman uses a pastery bag that holds about a gallon of filling when he doctors his cakes and pies. He's so quick and competent with his dabs and pipings it dazzles the eye.

Comment

Any chance compressed air (filtered) into a filling reservoir/nozzle would do the job?

Comment

I repaired the one the local bakery uses.Picture a long radius stainless steel pipe elbow,the elbow is turned up one end vertical,the other horizonal,it has two stainless brakets that hold the thing up and bolt it to the counter.
          On top are two ears with a pivot hole through and a handle with a curved plunger rod which has a block of teflon attached for a piston.
          The business end has a camlock nozzle which reduces down from the 3" diameter of the elbow to a 3/8" tube spout.
          In use it is simply filled with whaever goo,the piston is inserted into the bore and when the handle is pulled it pushes however much goo is required.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 11-27-2004).]
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Use an adjustable stroke single acting piston pump. 1 stroke per pie. Can adjust length of stroke to change volume. Could be made out of stainless or food grade plastic. Not sure what the check valves should be, ball or flapper.
            Maybe the meat grinder would be easier + kill two birds with one stone process filling and fill pie.
            Makes me hungry

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys I have been doing a bit of research and am thinking about a peristaltic pump which is basically a curved rubber tube and a disc with rollers around the outside that push the product through the tube (the best description I can do)these pumps are used in open heart surgery etc to pump the blood around while they are working on or replacing the heart.
              Will

Comment

There are chemical injection pumps that are used in industry that might do what you want. Some of them use the plastic tube that you discribe. They cost about $5000 each and are usually made of stainless steel. Don't remember the manufacturer, We used them to inject chemical into the feed water systems of the boiler water treatment. These pumps are adjustable for volume and timing for the injection. Don't know if they would pass in the food industry.

Joe

Comment

I would go wih a Archimedes screw type pump it is easy to make and easy to clean as the drice mechanism for the liquid is easily removable and the bore is left without objects to have to clean around. I have three or four such type screws that came out of a slurpy machine so they are food grade stainless steel if your interested contact me and I'll see if I can send you a picture of one to see if it mught suit your needs.
                  [email protected]

Comment

Personally, I have this stack of pneumatic cylinders 6" in diameter x 48" stroke, a piston/stroke measuring device.

Slurry pumps? well the most simple was a filled hopper (positive feed) with a flexible rubber hose inside w/rollers squeezing out the slurry. A mud type diaphram pump would be the easiest. but them degrading check balls..

BUT, you have to consider items that might be inserted into the pie from a degrading pump.

THE piston in a polished stainless cylinder makes more sense to me. Didja read about the 232 scale? I was.am playing with? It'd be simple to use.

A well thought out plan will come to you I am sure, something easy to clean, use, and build. I prefer stainless. The more you rub it the slicker it gets. Nothing to lose, Nothing to degrade and break off, Nothing to chance.

Comment

Doubt you're going to pump solids with a peristaltic pump. Thinking back tho, I welded up a sausage filler for a local butcher a few years back. Wasn't rocket science. It consisted of a 316 ss barrel with a nozzle at the bottom. HDPE or nylon plunger in the barrel. At the top, a solid plate (6mm ish) lid with hose fitting. The whole deal was pressurised by mains water.

BTW, I didn't make this thing, I was just called in to weld cracked lugs at the top, where the lid clamped on, so I have no drawings or detailed recollection of the machine.
                      Rgds, Lin. (In West Oz, if I can help, I'll be glad to)

Comment

You might look into progressive cavity pumps - Moyno is one brand I've used in the past with good luck and that was for pumping sewage sludge or ground municipal waste (garbage) slurries. I'm pretty sure that they have models designed for the food industry.

Mike
                        Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

we are taking delivery of our new computer operated pastry sheeter tomorrow morning I will ask the blokes who come to install it what sort of pumps they have seen in use in the industry, I am also thinking about a blocking press to form the pastry into a block after mixing and before rolling.
                          Will

Comment

You need an extruder type pump, also know as a screw pump. Basically a screw inside of a tube fed from a hopper. These are commonly used in industry to move solids and very viscous liquids like molten plastic etc. I know they are available in stainless as well as plastic. They are also known as feedscrewss and more info can be found here

http://www.feedscrews.com/

The nice thing about these is that they won't harm the filling and if designed right they are very easy to clean.

Comment

The Moyno is a good pump for such purposes, but is not cheap.

A peristaltic pump will work quite well, and is relatively simple to shop fabricate. They are known and accepted as suitable for food and sanitary applications. There are several out on the market, and they scale up or down well. It is also not difficult to make them meet sanitary standards.

A hopper fed pump, with large bore tubing will handle large solids gently, and provide accurate delivery. Sanitary tubing such as Tygon works fine, and is replacable when worn. Make it easily dismantled for cleaning and you will have no problems. You may have to experiment with the roller design and tube size to get best balance of delivery versus damage to product, but the basic pump components will remain the same.

I spent 35 years in food, drug and consumer products, much of which was involved in pumping and metering of all types of products.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X