Single or 3 phase lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single or 3 phase lathe

I am ready to order a Grizzly Z series lathe 13x40. Can't deside to go with single phase or to get 3 phase w/VFD.I do not have 3 phase in my aera. Can the VFD be hooked up with some type of remote so I can use the switches on the lathe. Also are there any drawbacks to single phase. Low speed is 105rpm. the VFD would lower this some. I read that the unit must be wired to the motor direct,is there one that has some way to get around this to start,stop & rev. from the apron control. Thanks Glenn

Glenn,

The short answer: Yes, depending on the model of VFD, you can install it such that every switch on the lathe will function as designed. This includes the Jog, emergency stop, and the forward/ reverse on the carriage. The only problem will be the coolant pump (if three phase) as one doesn’t want it to run with a variable speed. Keep in mind that some rewiring of the lathe is needed so it will not be a "plug and play" type installation. I will be happy to give you details if you go in that direction.

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 11-29-2004).]

Comment

I have a Hitachi SJ100-037LFU Sensorless Vector Drive on one of my lathes, and that is exactly how a couple of my friends wired it up. The VFD is wired directly to the motor and the controls are wired to the VFD. The instructions are in the manual. I'm still using the original position for the speed pot(it's a Monarch 10EE), the start FWD- STOP-REV switch is mounted on the headstock, and I have added an apron start-stop lever. I have also added a bank of dynamic braking resistors that will stop the spindle very quickly.
      I bought the VFD from;
      www.driveswarehouse.com
      they are very easy people to deal with.
      Harry

Comment

Thanks for the help, the reason I want 3 phase I heard it will run and cut with less chatter. I plan on useing it to do rifle chambering . The unit I was looking at was TECO FM100-203-1.I do not know much about this and did not know if the single phase would be the way to go. The lathe I use at my friend's shop is a large 3 phase and about a 30 grand unit. It will spoil you quick. As far as the pump could it be changed to a single phase or a 110v. Thanks Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn L (edited 11-29-2004).]

Comment

How many hp is the lathe?

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 11-30-2004).]
          John

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JPR:
            How many hp is the lathe? This is single phase in, 3 phase out VFD for a 3 hp http://web5.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/ AC_Drives_-z-_Motors/GS2_(230_-z-_460_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS2-23P0 </font>
            IT is a 3 HP 3 phase motor

Comment

Glenn,

That's a good VFD (TECO FM100-203-1) and it will do exactly what you want! I use one just like it.

Your suggestion regarding the pump will be the best way to go. In the long run I think you'll be happier with the VFD and the three-phase.

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 11-29-2004).]

Comment

Yes, you do not want to start and stop the motor using the switch on the lathe when using VFD.

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 11-30-2004).]
                John

Comment

For a 3HP motor what would be a good unit one that is dependable with warranty & able to be repaired if need be. The speed will not be varied much with the unit just on the low side when needed. I would like to use the factory controls & foot brake if i can, Thanks again Glenn

Comment

Glenn,

On the model you mentioned. You can have all the factory switches and use them like they were intended, foot brake, etc. Wire all of the emergency switches using the factory contactor AHEAD of the VFD – this will shut off the power to the entire machine as wanted. Then wire the VFD directly to the motor eliminating the factory contactors and heaters since the VFD has these features built into the unit. Wire the remaining controls- forward/reverse and jog- into the VFD’s external control panel and everything will work as the factory intended (you need to set a function for this on the unit). This model of VFD has a built in potentiometer so nothing else will be needed for your desired setup.

To help you understand what’s going on, have the dealer send you a manual and I think it will become clear.

Comment

Glenn, To operate the foot brake, you need to use a function known on Hitachi as Free Run Stop. I haven't implemented this yet but what it does basically is cut loose the motor from the deceleration curve and allow it to coast so that you can manually brake it.

Braking it with the VFD is pretty good. I have mine set to 2 seconds on a 3hp motor, 13" lathe with 6" chuck and it does not overload (from braking) at this time setting at any RPM.

Some gearheads are considerably quieter (no gear "clanking" from pulsating torque) on 3 phase.

Den

Comment

Thanks Mike & nheng I will try to order everything tomorrow. I may need some help after it comes in and will get back to you. Thanks again Glenn

Comment

Working...
                        X