Which tool post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which tool post?

I'm new to this list, but it looks like there are plenty of experienced people out there who can answer my questions. Here's the first one (many more to come):
    I'm nearing completion on rebuilding an 11" Logan lathe, and I want to put a quick-change tool post on it. It seems as though I can go with either the AXA or BXA; is there a good reason not to choose the larger of the two? I don't have the dimensions for the stud that goes into the t-nut, but I imagine either size will fit through the t-slot (1" wide). The center height from the top of the compound is 1 1/16. Thanks in advance!

Andrew

Andy,
    Go with the smaller (AxA) toolpost, The most
    obvious problem is that the larger unit may not allow you to put the tool bit on center line of the work piece. I use a AxA
    on my 12x36 with no problems.
    Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Yes -- I'd get the smaller. There is no reason to get the larger one for the size of lathe you have.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

3 or 4 years ago when I faced the same delima w/my 13" lathe, I too felt that bigger was better. But when I got home with it and started using it I quickly realized some tool bits simply couldn't be lowered enough to get it cutting on center. Thankfully my supplier let me swap for the smaller size.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Thanks a lot for the advice. If I hadn't asked, I probably would have gone ahead and gotten the BXA.

Andrew

Comment

You can download Acrobat files from the Dorian site which have drawings and all dimensions and capacities of thier Quick Change toolposts.

Comment

dwo

And that site would be... www.doriantool.com

Nice stuff and good sales - for Americans only! Bummer.

Dave

Comment

Hey dave ...Looks like we're the 53rd State then over here in good ol' UK ~ J& L stock their stuff. Must admit the dovetail cutter (see my earlier post ref Dorlan (spl)) has worked a treat ~ cut through some slideway close grain C.I like the preverbial through butter.

RR

Comment

Ragarsed

Yup, Dorian makes nice tools. If you ever come across one of their cutting type knurlers cheap - buy it. You won't be sorry!

They make the only tool posts that are .ooo1" repeatability - no BS.

KBC and Travers sell Dorian here too. I just think their prices are ridiculous. It is at least 40% cheaper for me to order from Dorian direct. I do not like getting hosed.

Comment

Working...
                  X