Starrett 98-12 Level

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starrett 98-12 Level

I have a nice old 98-12 Starrett level, but I cannot calibrate it, because the vial has come loose. The Glass vial appears to be held in with 'Plaster of Paris', and has loosened with age. Any ideas how to 'fix' the vial, so I can calibrate it?

Pat

Do a search on this BBS under Starret. There are several threads under that address your question.
    Sterling

Comment

Pat --

A few years back I wrote an essay for the old Chaski board on the replacement of a broken Model 98 level vial. The same fundamentals apply, although you'll obviously want to be especially careful removing the vial to avoid cracking it.

http://www.chaski.com/cgi-bin/machin....pl?read=47912

After I posted that, I did see an error that warranted a follow-up posting that I'll include here:

"A correction to my earlier posting:

"In the 3d-from-last paragraph, I said " . . . move the bubble half-way to the 'should be' position." That is wrong; you need to move the bubble all the way to its "should be" position, which is half-way between the present position and the position noted before turning the level body around on the surface table."

John

[This message has been edited by John Garner (edited 12-01-2004).]

Comment

Thanks John. Great article.

Comment

Working...
        X