greasing the lathe bed question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greasing the lathe bed question?

when i bought my bmx cranks from profileracing.com, i received an anti-seizing compound, of course i was so exited i forget to use it the first time, and they cranks had to be hammered off the spindle, but the second time i used it, i took them off with my hands, could this be used as lube for a dovetail bed? It seems to greatly reduce friction?

Yes if you want to kill your lathe.
    Anti sieze is for keeping things from rusting. You want a lubricant, and more specifically, way lube.
    I use a generic bottle of way lube from Mcmaster carr. It has wax in it, does a great job.
    Some people like Mobil Vactra.

Comment

They do make crank pullers that are designed
      to pull cranks off the bottom bracket.
      www.parktool.com has a variety of such tools
      for $10-20 each or with your new lathe, should you ever get one, you could easy make
      a crank puller. Steve
      Steve

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elninio:
        i received an anti-seizing compound,

could this be used as lube for a dovetail bed? It seems to greatly reduce friction?
        </font>

You don't want to put grease on the ways. Try way oil. JRouche
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Easy way to 'pull' stuck cranks, ride them off!! That is, loosen, but not remove the retaining bolt or nut (which ever the crank has) and then, standing up on the pedals, ride around the block IF you make it that far and stop as soon as the crank(s) loosen.

Nine times out of ten, it will be 'loose' in less than 100 feet!!

The above from 'several' questions on bike/trike lists and my personal experience. (4 times removing them.. never made it 100 feet)

Advantage of this method???

FREE and the only SPECIAL tool required is those funny things at the bottom of your body, which is usually available 24/7 anywhere you are!!! Amputees excepted.

Had them loose in as little as ten turns of the crank. And these were ones that were "tight" on an old bike.

Seems that the taper isn't quite 'perfect' and relies on the bolt/nut to keep it seated.

[This message has been edited by Crazy Ed (edited 12-01-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Crazy Ed (edited 12-01-2004).]

Comment

Ed
            I never had that problem with my Campagnolo cranks when I bent them...cheap Italian crap! :

the 400Lb. Gorilla

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrud:
              Ed
              I never had that problem with my Campagnolo cranks when I bent them...cheap Italian crap! :

the 400Lb. Gorilla
              </font>
              I cracked the end right off the original crank spindle on my Lambert. At the time I was only a 140 lb "chimp".

They didn't use a taper, the ends were square. I think they had a little problem with a stress riser on the inside corner.....got a free replacement with their newer tapered type.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
              X