Availability of cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Availability of cutters

I bought a set of turning tool set indexable with removable cutters.it looks good for the money nine cutters for under آ£50 .Madde in india or China I suspect bottom of the range but useable , however it suddenly struck me that,once used it may be difficult to get replacement tips. So is it good value after all or should I be able to get cutter tips easily from another source that will fit.Are these interchangeable or is the dearer set more sensible in the long run.Alistair not Georgia USA but Dunoon Scotland
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Worry not Alistair, carbide inserts of all varieties are readily available.

Comment

You should be able to find inserts easily. There are tons on eBay, sometimes for cheap money.

The hardware (screws, shims - if any, etc.) are another story and if they go you might just have to toss it, but for آ£5.50 a new holder is cheap as an insert. The nice thing about getting inserts is any replacement will be tons better than the ones included with the tools.

You might even get lucky - some of the cheapie tool holders have standard sized hardware too.

Check MSC for insert information and prices.

http://www.mscdirect.com

[This message has been edited by vinito (edited 12-01-2004).]

Comment

Vinnie I checked your web page wonderful shop funny I bought a large gear head drill recently from a guy,first he put it on ebay and then took cold feet then sold it to me cheap I got it for آ£100 plus آ£100 delivery I painted it and finally managed to install it in my shop but had to make (like you) a hole in the ceiling I will post pics later Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 12-02-2004).]

Comment

Alistair.....

I think the tips you want are.....TCMT 110204,if you can get TCMT 110202 you will get a better tip for finishing.
          I usually get Sandvik when I buy any.Last time I bought any was about 4 yrs ago as I mainly use HSS.

Allan

Comment

Thanks Allan.I will be back in touch when I need more of your good advice.Alistair

Comment

Got some tool steel?

I like it cause I can resharpen here..

where they came from? http://members.aol.com/lughaid/index.htm

------------------
              David Cofer, Of:
              Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

I have a big box of old steel cutters David I will show you a photo (perhaps later), you can tell me if they are salvageable Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 12-02-2004).]

Comment

Alistair, I have used blanks. As long as the rake and edge is close you can scrape metal off.

If you get close to the pictures there it'll work just great.

David

Comment

Thanks again Dave (as usual) Alistair

Comment

Working...
                    X