where did all this come from???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where did all this come from???

I practiced turning on an old piece of steel I had brought it up lovely and shiney all round trued it up on all surfaces.The wonder is ,were did the three big bags of chips I filled come from? Surely not(that little piece of metal) I don't believe it Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 12-02-2004).]
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

It's all that air trapped in with the chips. Try doing your machining in a vacuum and see if that helps ;-)

Comment

Good Idea never thought (can't breathe)of that (gasp)Lunkenheimer Alistair

Comment

Machining is the art of making big pieces into smaller pieces... Sometimes they are even useful.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Most times my swirls cuts, swarf, I cut nice long pretty ribbons showing off how sharp my cutter is, then can't get the ##%#@$# things down the vacuum hose.

THEY ARE RAZOR SHARP, I got a few stitches a while back just picking up some my pup was chewing on.

David

Comment

For some fun there my scottish friend, Find some malleable brass (soft) and chuck it up. Get the angle "just right" on the cutter, the feed right, you can make some gold colored tinsel you can almost see through. As it comes off, don't let it wrap around your finger, find something not so important to let the curl dance across. It could hang ya know. The longest piece I have done was about thirty feet long. I used to have it hanging in the rafters as a braggin right..

David

Comment

David I must say thirty feet is something to brag about no wonder you had to hang it from the rafters Alistair

Comment

I guess size does matter...

Comment

Alistair, it's even more fun with nylon or delrin. Long continous ribbons coming of the tool. If you get the speed and feed just right you can get going about five feet in the air (OK, 1.6666698463027 meters) and right into the old round file. Makes clean up a snap.
                  Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I have cut some of this on the lathe already
                    I was tempted to use the cuttings as Christmas decorations they looked so nice I thought they would fit nicely at the bottom of the tree. Alistair

Comment

I grind mine up and use them as part of my high fiber diet
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Is that why your so regular in the bowel department.OUCH THE VERY THOUGHT Alistair

Comment

Don't forget the cast iron chips are great for the garden. JRouche
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Why?

Comment

Alistair it puts iron in the carrots.
                              Charlie
                              Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                              http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Working...
                              X