Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Necessity the mother of invention..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessity the mother of invention..........

Here is an example, quite inovative.

http://www3.telus.net/gwolanski/Gearcutter.html
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

That is really neat. Now I wish I had the photos of the darkroom I built in the Army, when we couldn't get Signal Corps support.

Jerry

Comment

Using the spiral tap for the hob is a neat idea,solves several problems,neat!
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Hey,
        Your ingenuity is absolutely incredible. You are one talented person. My hat is off to you! Fred

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by laddy:
          Hey,
          Your ingenuity is absolutely incredible. You are one talented person. My hat is off to you! Fred
          </font>
          I can't take credit for that one Fred, I just posted the link because I found it interesting and thought others might to.
          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I was confused about the outside diameter allowing the "teeth" to match up perfectly.

Then I reread.. he sinks the tap into the plate progressively deeper and deeper till it mills the perfect circle where the teeth line up.. NEATO and well thought out..

My hat is off to this fellow.

David

Comment

Yep, I saw an in person demonstration of this technique a few years ago at the Mt. Kobau Star Party. It works like a hot damn.

Wanna see more of his stuff? Here:

http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/gwolanski/

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-05-2004).]
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

David;

i have seen this done and done it myself. i have found that it works better [cleaner teeth, etc.] if you gash the blank first with something like a dovetail end mill so the teeth of the tap have something to grab when they start cutting. it looks to me like i end up with a cleaner looking gear that way.

it also works with a plain every day plug tap. i have experimented with different size taps, different tpi, and most recently made a 90 tooth worm gear with a 1/2" acme tap.

one of these days i am gonna get around to cutting the gears for my dividing head.......

peace.
                bill
                ........i dremel. therefore i am..........................

Comment

I think Evan has done similar to this and posted some excellant photos of it. I seem to remember he even made his own gear hobber. It's a neat idea and one of these days I'll try it out.

Comment

The photos are off line. I took a lot of pics off line because it was starting to eat my bandwidth allowance. This board is very popular and has a lot of lurkers. If anyone has a particular request for a photo that was in a previous post by me just say so.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                    X