Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Hello,
    I've been lurking and Learning here for a while. Now I have a question that may require an even grayer head thin mine to answer (if such a thing exists!)
    I bought a box of rusty tools a yard sale a while back. In bottom of the box was a very rusty die stock. After I got cleaned up I noticed the hole for the die was 1 5/16 dia. I've never seen or even heard of a 1 5/16 die. I looked in the MSC big book and they don't have any dies that size.
    The only marking that was not lost to rust was "DERBY" stamped on the fixed handle. The tool has the marks of a lifetime of use so there must something works in the 1 5/16 hole. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?
    Thanks
    Joe

jstinem: Welcome from another Newbie.
    I'm not sure whether you have described a die wrench with a 1 5/16 hole for a die or a die for a 1 5/16 bolt. Assuming it is the die you have, go to machinery handbook. they list 1 5/16" as a "secondary size". The threads listed that I find are 6,8,12,16,18,20,28 with the 18 TPI probably being the common size (if there is a "common size" for a uncommon object>

Real question is what kind of person buys rusty tools and cleans them?
    One answer is ME! Comments on most unusual buys?

Steve

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by docsteve66:
      jstinem

Real question is what kind of person buys rusty tools and cleans them?
      One answer is ME! Comments on most unusual buys?
      Steve,
      I did OK. on this lot. There 2 die stocks one large and one medium, a good 6 in. gear puller, a 1/2 in square ratchet, 8 or 10 sockets, 2 cold chisels, and a pair of pliers in the box. All cleaned up ok and are usable. All for $7.50
      The best deal lately was a Starrett 2in double square,and a Starrett and a General Screw pitch gages for $10.00
      Thanks for info about the die stock. I never thought of Machinery's Handbook.
      Thanks
      Joe

Steve
      </font>

Comment

I am afraid I am guilty of that act of tool mercy as well. Can't stand to see a tool suffer like that, not after some craftsman put his heart and soul into making it. More a matter of respect for those that went before me.

I know people that like paintings and other fine art. Few think of tools as art, or that without them, the other art would not exist. We would still be drawing on cave walls with our feces without them. Not that I have anything against finger painting - it is just that they never washed before eating...

Comment

Maybe it is a pipe die for something like 1 inch steel pipe
          Will Bleeker

Comment

Geez, Thrud, that's gross. But I agree with the buying old tools part. I got most of my woodworking tools that way. Now if you'll excuse me I need to wash up for dinner.

Comment

Some of the old tools I've found at the bottom of tool boxes have been, at one time,works of art! Occasionally they can be revived and are still useable.The old timers sure had a lot of pride in their tools they made and used! Very few mechanics now would make a tool box from scratch,it's too easy to lay down the money for a tin toolbox that with good luck will last about 10yrs.before falling apart.

Comment

bdarin:
                Yeah, you don't want you supper to taste like a rectal thermometer, do you? I know I never want to experience that - does not matter how much you sterilize it still is a ****ty deal.

When I was in the hospital, this yummy intern came in with the Doctor and other interns. They take turns feeling my neck (cardiac thing) - then she comes along...

I say to her, "You are specializing in proctology, right?"

"How did you know that?" she says.

"Well, you should use barrier cream and rubber gloves because your hands smell like rectums, plus you smoke - that will kill you faster than sex with a horny 400Lb. gorilla!"

She looks really pissed at me and says "asshole"

I said "Are you mad because I am right about your anal obsession, your smoking, or the fact you want me bad?"

She storms out. The doctor in charge nearly died laughing. Told me she had a terrible bedside manner and I was the first to really piss her off. I told him laughter is good for sick people. He made her come see me every day. Hi honey, miss me? I think she was glad to see me leave. I am such a stinker...

Comment

You know the only difference between a rectal thermometer and an oral thermometer is the taste! (At least, so I've heard.)Bobby

Comment

Within the last ten years, and this is the 'enlightened' age of ... er infections.. or so we think. I was working in a hospital and this resident came to the nurses station to answer a page. He was still in his bloody gloves and called someone who paged him. I just went to the janitors closet and got the sterlizing solution stuff out and waited. When he hung up, I handed him the stuff to clean the phone and everything he touched. My Nurse Manager had a cow, but the Doc appreciated it with a red face. Woke him up!!! We were friends after that.

The patient was a "4h'er".... Hiv, and three types of hepatitis. (b,c,e) -------- not to uncommon among IV drug abusers.

Comment

Crazy Ed:
                      You know, I do not know what scares me more - that you guys have jargon (4H) for it - or that it occurs enough that you have jargon for it!

Pass that rectal thermometer...

Comment

Working...
                      X