WHY ARE THESE GOING SO CHEAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY ARE THESE GOING SO CHEAP

On ebay at the moment Hardinge lathes have been selling fo next to nothing see this one
    And yeterday one did not even reach a starting bid of آ£90 uk this is a tragedy.Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3856000361
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Where do you plug the "game Controller in?"

Seems young people don't have any use for dirty noisy hobbies.

David

Comment

Yes but Dave this is no cheapie old piece of junk I would have bought it but I wrote to the guy and he could not put it on a pallet to be uplifted and he's too far from me to drive all the way Alistair

Comment

Maybe Hadinges just don't have the same reputation in the UK that they do here in the states. But it is a chucker not the Tool Room lathe or the DV-59. The chucker was designed and built for production use. While a HSM can certainly use one most i think would not want to take on the challenge.
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

DOC even so you could not buy the tailstock for this price second hand.Alistair

Comment

No wonder you get all the nice machine tools for so cheap Alistair, no one else around you cares for metal working!

Comment

Bill you would be surprised.Alistair

Comment

Shipping is often the killer on E-Bay. A machine in a big area like NY or LA or Atlanta will bring a high price because a lot of people are within easy driving distance to pick it up.

I looked into the shipping costs for a small machine like a 9" lathe and found that I could pay more to ship it across country than the auction prices were. Most auctioned lathes require crating or paletizing for shippment and that would be extra. It just isn't worth it if you can't pick it up so I did not bid on quite a few lathes. I wound up buying from a guy about three states away and he met me half way. He wasn't in a large city and the price was somewhat lower.

Paul A.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                X