X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLP tech. Have you heard of this?

Check this out,

http://www.dlp.com/

New (almost new) technology. They say that this style of display chip will allow one to project a tv/computer on the wall, bright enough so that you can see it in regular daylight. It uses tiny mirrors that move on the chip. They change direction in order to create shades of gray. Then they add a color wheel to add color to the picture, Did I say little mirrors? Tiny mirrors, I mean tiny!. Check out this photo.

The small squares are the mirrors; the big thing is a common needlepoint. Looks too round to draw blood! Aint technology great!

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 12-06-2004).]
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

That is actually pretty old technology. It has been around for at least 7 years.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

True, but they are just now putting it into consumer products, right? Or am I way off here? Probably the later.
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

DLP televisions have been around for many years now. It's difficult to tell that they are DLP unless you look at the label, because rear projection televisions using LCD has similar picture quality.

I think TI pioneered this technology and they had some problems early on so they renamed it (go figure). With plasma display getting biggger and less expensive, the future for this technology isn't looks so rosy. I think it will become a niche technology.

Comment

DLP in consumer Video Projectors has really taken off this year.
          Only way to go.
          Very efficient light path, makes for brighter and higher contrast with smaller projection bulbs, simplified and less costly support electronics, cheaper repair costs, smaller units and typically run cooler.

Tom M.

Comment

There is a new display technology developed by a company in Canada that is going into trial production next year. It does Hi res full color and is apparently very scalable. They demonstrated a 34" display earlier this year. The kicker is that is at least 50% cheaper to produce that any current technology. Don't invest in any flat panel makers right now.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I have the 50" Samsung DLP television using the Texas Instruments chip. I researched fairly extensively on the pro's and con's of the different technologies and this ws my decision. I really like it! Watched the prices fluctuate with sales and different stores over about a 4 month period. Finally bought when Best Buy had a percentage off sale on all televisions. After all the smoke cleared away, I think it cost me about $3,200 plus tax. Plasma has life and burn-in issues that I feel will limit its appeal for the average home user. Conference rooms and other high-end users will not find the downside so unattractive. LCD's were my second choice, but try watching a football game or any other rapid action on a large screen, and the blurring really can be distracting. Faster LCD's may well eliminate this issue, but at what price?

Comment

Working...
              X