Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the best place to buy bearings on the net?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the best place to buy bearings on the net?

I need to buy some class 3 Timken bearings for my lathe. Where is the best place to purchase these over the Internet?

-Thanks

Sorry...can't help you. I assume you've tried Google, etc.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Just call a local bearing supplier.

Comment

Jake: Thrud isnt giving you a short answer. Local bearing supply houses are usualy very competive in price, have knowledge, no shipping charges if you can wait til the next delivery day. I prefer Dixie Bearing for both help and price, I have used 800 number to discuss bearing stuff with manufacturers and most times they are very helpful.

Bearings and internet are too cases where Gov't regulations (the lack thereof) have resulted in a system where standards govern and the consumer benefits- sure a few bearing producers have a rotten product, but they never become "big names". So buy cheapest price, install them right, take care of them and relax.

Comment

The local bearing supply is my problem. For some reason they say that I have to wait 6 months before they can get them. They also quoted me a price that is 50% higher than a company online (www.awbearings.com). Since these bearings are rather costly, I wanted to see if others have bought bearings from this company or if someone has experience from other online dealers.

Comment

jake: you give very little info concnerning your problem. If you live in "Bum F**K Eygpt" or ventral Nebraska your problems will differ. Try on line sources by going to your libary, nearest good sized town yellow pages and use those names to search the web. A googool for timken returned 8,600 items. try just off the top of my head timken, fafnir, NTN, FAG, SKF, Bearings are very much standardized sizes and spec. Timken is good 9near best in my opinion) but others make the same sizes and to same specs.

WW graingers has a fair selection of bearings, and give the classes and a cross reference . Dixie and Americain are good retailers.

Give clue and maybe you get help. lathes come from watchmakers to maybe ten foot swing. best place is where you can walk to or at least minmum shipping costs.

you say " For some reason they say that I have to wait 6 months before they can get them. They also quoted me a price that is 50% higher than a company online (www.awbearings.com). Since these bearings are rather costly, I wanted to see if others have bought bearings from this company or if someone has experience from other online dealers."

I have no idea who they is/are. But 50% markup aint bad when you compare Ace hardware to Dixie bearing. I have no idea who "this company" is. But I can tell you one fact. When you are willing to pay, no spot on earth is over 24 hours away- even if it at the end of a mule train. It won't cost you a penny to ask why they need 6 months, and if every one else in town gets same delay.
            I wuld guess you are talking to a clerk who has no idea waht a class 3 bearing is, is unwilling to ask or you have (most likely) given him same info you gave us and wecan't read your mind either. more info please. Part number and brand name are on bearing, inner race, outter cup. If not use a mike to measure OD, Id, Width, Seal types etc. tell us if its roller, taper roller, ball SOMETHING!!!!!

Comment

I have dealt with awbearings and was pleased with them. I dealt with Tim, Bobby.

Comment

Jake:
                Class 3 bearing are no big deal, they should have these in stock. If you had asked for class 7 or higher I could understand that somewhat. I can walk into any major supplier here in Edmonton and get Class 7 bearings off of the shelf - no big deal. Now if it is 48" in diameter - that is another story (they had one of those too, BTW)...

Comment

Yeah --make sure everybody is quoting you a price on *exactly* the same bearing.... I'm pretty sure Timken will send a complete catalog "on request" so you can get a specific Timken bearing number (if you don't already know it) and ask for THAT bearing.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 06-26-2002).]
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

When I posted my original question all I wanted to know if there was a good place to purchase Timken bearings over the net. The responses concerning the local supply house were helpful and appreciated but I never thought the question needed such detail as size, type, etc.

In hindsight, I should have never mentioned the local distributor's inability to get my bearings but the responses were heading towards local supply houses and this was my attempt to get it back towards internet companies. I can see this led some people down the wrong road.

I live in Colorado and the state and local taxes are pretty hefty here - so if I can buy over the internet, I can avoid paying these taxes (I'm not a business). Since the bearing's cost far exceed the shipping cost a considerable saving is realized.

Thanks to all who responded. I do appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 06-26-2002).]

Comment

My usual mail order source is MSC. They have a web site, www.mscdirect.com , but I find it very difficult to use and pretty much stick to the telephone. Their number is (800)645-7270. They'll send a free catalog to anyone who asks. The latest catalog I have, 98/99 doesn't show any Timken bearings, but they will order non-catalog items for you. Anytime I've compared prices, theirs have been reasonable, and I've always been pleased with their service.

Comment

You could always try McMaster Carr...they'll order most anything if they don't have it

www.mcmaster.com

My local supplier is Bearings and Drives, they are not on the net that I know of but they will ship...they're at (626)443-0251 or fax for a quote at (626)443-3438

You could also call Timken and and ask for a list of nationwide or major distributors in an area one shipping zone away from you so UPS ground would be cheap and essentially overnight.

Comment

On other boards it has been mentioned that if you get the exact identifying numbers from the manufacturer, and basically just use the local idiots for collecting money and receiving the shipment you do much better.
                          Most bearing houses look it up in a book and then give you a blank look if they don't see it. Anything except what they have in stock "is a special and will take a long time".

Comment

Oso:

It would not be fair to call all of them "Local Idiots" - the majority of bearing suppliers here in Edmonton have people with Engineering degrees selling the product. Maybe this is a local anomaly as there is lots of heavy oil field activity including the two Tar Sands projects in Ft. McMurray. We also have Lumber and Paper mills and the National Nano-Technology Center is being built here in Edmonton. The guys I talk to really have their **** together.

Comment

Sorry- I deleted my comments. Dave said it nicer than I.
                              Steve

[This message has been edited by docsteve66 (edited 07-02-2002).]

Comment

Working...
                              X