metric left hand tap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metric left hand tap

Does anyone know of a source for a M8x1.25 left handed tap?
    If I have to make one, should it have 2,3 or 4 flutes?
    This is to tap only 3 holes but they are 1.5" deep.

They are availiable from McMaster-Carr or MSC. They will not tap the 1 1/2" you are looking for though. Perhaps you could clear drii the hole on one end. [http://www.mcmaster.com
    http://www.mscdirect.com

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 12-06-2004).]

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 12-06-2004).]
    Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

MSC should be able to supply you with one. I recently purchased a metric left handed tap from them. Loaned it to a friend of mine. One little job to clean up some threads. It was returned. Cheaper to buy than to try and make.
      SK

Comment

Once had a job where the threaded hole was deeper than the tap flutes; the machinist doing the job, ground the shank behind the flutes to get the extra depth.
        Harry

Comment

I didn't think of it right away, but beckley 23's suggestion, I have quite a few taps ground as such just for that purpose. I do not use then often, thus not thought about until I need one.
          Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

You can buy taps with the shank relieved. Don,t know where, we had some at work, if you want longer taps look for pully taps.
            Good luck.
            Russ H

Comment

Thanks guys...again! I love this site, so much info.
              BTW, since this is for steady rest fingers, I may not have to thread the whole depth of the hole, just drill deep enough to provide clearance for the "bolt".

[This message has been edited by joahmon (edited 12-07-2004).]

That was a dumb thought. I need to come in from the other side with a larger drill!!

[This message has been edited by joahmon (edited 12-08-2004).]

Comment

Working...
              X