Question of clearance on mill?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question of clearance on mill?????

I set up my Fritz Werner which is a beautiful little or I should say medium size milling machine. However I notice with the table dropped all the way down there is still very little room between the bottom of the tool in the chuck and the top of the vice.I am using aparticularly small vice thickness about 2.5 inches so it is not due to an oversize vice.
    When the arm of the quill is raised it leaves about 4 inches above the vice top i.e max this alarmed me a bit is this usual?.
    This is the first time I have used my mill or attempted to use it can someone tell me if this is normal with medium range size milling machines ? Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Isn't that a very small mill? Like watchmaker's? I don't remember the link to your pics from a while back.

Many "small" mills have considerably more than 6" clearance, or "daylight". Very small, like Benchmaster etc, might have 7 or 8, I think theBenchmaster might have 9".

That said, my Lewis horizontal has about 160mm max clearance (6.25") from the arbor. The vertical head has more than that.

Clearance is always a problem, but that does sound small for a vertical mill with quill.

How about head adjustment? Knee adjustment?

Could you be worried only about quill travel?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

No it's not that small floorstanding just under 6 foot tall here is a picture of it.Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 12-05-2004).]

Comment

Hello Alistair,
        Are you using a collet or a tool holder?
        a collet will allow you a little more room.
        Thats a very nice mill.
        Chuck

Comment

GRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Wha happened to the green???????????
          Jim
          Jim

Comment

These are the pics that were sent to me from the guy I bought it from .I repainted it gre

grey exactly the same just freshened it up
            Alistair

Comment

It's useless. Too small. No clearance. If I were you I'd dump it as soon as possible. Aww heck, I'll just come over to load it up and dump it for ya.

I could use a little more clearance in mine too, and I'll bet a lot of folks feel the same way on occasion. I've looked at mine with an eye to adding a circluar riser like Bridgeports use. But I've seen a couple of pictures of my make of mill with the OEM riser attached and it's a rectangular block between the column and ram. If you feel an extra wild hair coming on, you could make a riser to function that way on yours (I think. Not sure how the vertical is driven, but maybe a belt drive would just require a longer belt.

Damn. They just never seem to be the perfect size, do they?

Comment

Alister
                That is one beautiful machine you have there. It looks to be hell for stout and very capable of doing what it is designed to do, and it is designed to do smaller parts. You may have to think sideways for fixturing some of your parts and use the Hz spindle. Are both the spindles #30 taper? If so then you will have to deal with the tool holder extension and the room that it takes up. What HP is the motor on this? Is the verticle head gear driven off of the Horz spindle? Where are you, and may I come see it if your close?
                lg
                no neat sig line

Comment

I suppose you won't be drilling holes with it with a chuck.

Comment

Nice mill. Really nice mill. I was thinking of a different one.

Looks like as shown you have the knee full down, so what you see is what you get.

How about a side view with a meter stick visible?

Either all the views are about in line with the dovetail, or the vertical travel of the knee is really small. I can't tell if the front face is all dovetail, or not. But I can see the screw housing at bottom, and the crank, so there is clearly vertical travel on the knee.

Do you have the arbor support and some arbors for it? That taper you should be able to get them for still. Mine has an MT3 taper, so I get to make the arbor when I want another one, they are not made commercially.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

hi,alistair,nice mill.from the pictures it seems like you have about 12" of travel(vertical),unless that's a lot less in reality.4" clearance doesn't seem a lot though!are you sure you measured that correctly?your only other option is to reduce the depth of your tooling,or mount your workpiece directly on the table with clamps,etc.How often do you need more than 4" anyway?sometimes you need to adapt your practice to your available equipment.but whatever you do,enjoy it.regards,hans(nz)

------------------
                      Hans
                      Hans

Comment

It looks like the RF-45, exect american made and converts to horizontal milling, however it is small, very nice!

Depends what parts you are trying to make. You COULD go for a bridgeport if you have the space, or something in between. Other than that all i can think of right now is use collets instead of chuck as mentioned above or build a shrinking-enlarging ray to enlarge your mill to 1.5 times the size

Comment

Alistair,

Daylight is a problem on lots of millers of that design - I bought an Adcock & Shipley 1-ESG with a vertical head, reasoning that I'd get the rigidity of a horizontal mill with the flexibility of a horizontal & vertical mill combined.

It didn't work out that way - when a vice is on and you have an end mill in a collet chuck, there's almost no room left for the work. As you've discovered, a 6' tall machine weighing over half a ton lets you hold a 4" workpiece...

That's why I bought a Beaver mill - sort of a heftier version of a Bridgeport, with 40 Int tapers. It has a *lot* more room from table to spindle, and there's always the possibility of slipping an 8" raising ring under the turret.

Not sure what to suggest - try to avoid using a vice (clamp work to the table instead), use short end mills - and keep your eyes open for a turret mill...

Ian
                          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

(duplicate post - deleted)
                            Ian

[This message has been edited by Ian B (edited 12-07-2004).]
                            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

I am very pleased with the mill it's German top quality and well made. I have about four inches on top of the present vice but that is measured from the bottom of a long tool held in the tool holder, so but maybe its a bit more as I measured it roughly.
                              I will be trying a different holder, a collet one as advised, as this will give me abour eight inches as the clarkson had a long tool and it'self was very long when I measured it

Comment

Working...
                              X