Just don't feel like it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just don't feel like it...

I have my lathe almost running. All I need to do is drill and tap a piece of 3/8 steel for the tool post holder. I've been working every day to acquire machine shop stuff but I have to work my regular job tomorrow so I don't feel like doing much. I am racking up some goodies but I'm just too tired to fool with any of it. Does anyone else do this? Work so hard to support your hobby that you're too tired to engage in it? I mean, I actually have a friggin' lathe in my backyard shop! I've dreamt of having one.

------------------
    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
    Techno-Anarchist

Oh, sure. A friend and I have pretty much decided that the goal is to get our shops set up by the time we retire, when we'll (one hopes) have time to actually use them.

Not that we don't use our shops now, but sustained projects just don't happen. The only time I've been able to do a sustained project was the 14-month period when I was laid off. Now that I'm back to work and commuting about 3 1/2 hours every day, shop time is pretty rare.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Yep,24/7/365
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Oh yes, I know the feeling well.

In the past the only times that I got hurt on the job were when I was tired. So now if I am to tired I don't do much in the shop. Even if you don't hurt yourself things never go well when you are tired.
        To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

This only a hobby for me, but I go through periods where I want to use the machinery, and then usually put in long hours, and then other times I don't feel like working in the shop at all. I have few distractions to prevent me working at it anytime I want, but I go through cycles of wanting to. Sometimes I don't go in the shop for a month. Then I basically live in it for days, and weeks sometimes. My last period of workshop use was almost a month, every day, and sometimes 15 hrs per day.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

It happens all the time to me. Especially when I'm putting in those twelve and fourteen hour days. Those days I don't even generally enter the shop. Sometimes I come home and I'm too tired to work on my machines, but I've been on the road all week bustin my ass and wondering why I put up with my job, then I'll just go out in the shop and sit on a stool and look at the stuff. Then I realize that I've wanted my own machine shop since I was a teenager, thought I would build one when I reached retirement age, and have one now at 42. It helps me put life in perspective.

I try to put in at least one after noon per weekend at minimum working on what's important to me. Any time beyond that is just gravy. Being in my shop is theraputic for me as my day job is an ongoing high pressure sales gig where there is no end product, only the search for the next purchase order. Actually building stuff is rewarding as there's a beginning, a middle nad an end to the process and my shop helps remind me of that. I feel that when you can break something down to it's most basic processes like what you have to do when machining a part, that it helps you to understand many other things in life. MAchinists are generally driven to pursue and understand how stuf works and how the parts of something interact. So look at your shop as a part in your life and put it in it's place. It's your dream and something you're actively working on. You're pursuing your dream, not just thinking about it. Enjoy that, don't let it become a source of frustration just because it isn't all happening at once.

Part of being a good machinist is learning the patience to take that long slow cut if that's what it takes to get the finish right. This is often a slow process. Or at least that's what I'm learning. Heck, look how old some of these guys had to get to become so smart. Relax and work on it when it fits in with the rest of your life.

Or hit the lotto and retire to tinker in the shop full time

John

------------------
            Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.
            Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Excitable Boy:
              Sometimes I come home and I'm too tired to work on my machines,

I'll just go out in the shop and sit on a stool and look at the stuff.John
              </font>

Wow, too funny. I do exactly the same thing sometimes.

I'll go out to the shop, thinking I wanna do "something". I get out there, sit down on my stool and just veg. while looking around.

I'd think, I "could" build anything I want here, but, I'm too tired, or lately, it's too cold.

Sometimes I'll force myself to just get up and at lease clean up then I get motivated and jump into some project. JRouche
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I don't smoke in the house so I often go to the shop to get a cig. Yea, it's a good place to sit on a stool and reflect...

------------------
                Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
                Techno-Anarchist

Comment

I brought home a dirty Clausing 1513 lathe a couple months ago. Been rubbing/cleaning it whenever I feel like it. Probably February before I get serious about getting to spin it under power.
                  This is always more 'do-able' when you already have another lathe running!
                  I don't worry about it. After all the work involved with removing it from seller's house, cleaning her basement shop for 5 days with a friend, it can sit a while! After another month, it will seem like a new toy and I'll get back on it full [spare] time.
                  alan in ga. [sometimes it just needs to sit a while].
                  alan in ga

Comment

Working...
                  X