No announcement yet.

Metal condensation, Sweat? Moisture in unheated shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to keep the heat on all winter too. Set it at 58* and only turn it up when I'm out there. I get that dew on the floor when it rains alot, doesn't seem to matter where the heat is set at. I also get alot of condesation build up in the Fall before I turn the heat on full time. Damn winter anyways!!

Comment

YOu guys don't know me veee-wie well..

I am the guy who refused to complete the house addition because of the higher heating bills this winter. (3x floorspace = more outa pocket)

(CHEEEEAAAPPPP)

David

Comment

Dave I am a closet woodworker,I have cast iron in an unheated shop.
        It drove me nuts,because a fine piece of maple will be ruined by a brown rust streak,oak is even worse,little rust and a drop of sweat and you have a black spot thats permanant.

So I have tried everything,oil,grease,silicon spray,paste wax you name it.
        But the best without a doubt is Nu-finsih car wax,you know("after 50 carwashes the water still beads")

Well it works good,remove the rust,degrease and apply with a buffer or cloth.It won't solve the condesate problem,but it will reduce it and the rust will all but stop.I reapply mine every six months or so.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Hey Gypsie,

Remember, it is a fine line between "fugal" and downright "cheap"!!!
          Besides you cannot take it with you, and the govenment won't let you keep it while you are here so protect them tools!!

------------------
          Paul in NE Ohio
          Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

I've never seen a nitrogen purgeing unit. The ones I work on draw 100% outside air through pre cooling coils. Then a silicon honeycomb wheel that absorbs moisture. A furnace dries the wheel as it rotates. Then through post cooling coils. The air then goes through another heater. They can take 100% saturated air down to 10% RH. All this is for loading solid rocket propellant into air bag inflators.

Nitrogen sounds simpler.

James

Comment

Sometimes when we get weather like this & I'm working away for a week or so, heating with coal, I just run a box fan on medium to circulate the air while I'm gone, this has worked for me.

Comment

Nitrogen "blanket" on the top of flammable vessels. Is normal. The fumes is what explodes anyways. Has to have the proper ratios to give a good explosion anyways.

I put a rotameter, a tapered deal the lil ball floats in acording to calculated flow (my mig has one), a regulator designed for air or nitrogen use and Plumb it in. Kinda scary sometimes. Knowing if your "blanket" dissipates you can be blown to heck and back from the static off your clothes.

At Olin, aluminum class 3 housings would bond-weld within a month if not treated properly. I would use a good epoxy paint, Paper tape the legend plates over vaseline, Paint it all, Put liberal amounts of coppershield on the threads and let it go. I had to bandsaw off the lids on several multi-thousand dollar instruments set up by other techs there.

Ain't nothing like going around the lid with two hammers knocking and asorbing the impact with other hammer on something that is worth more than a years salary.

A old tech working with me, looked down at his coppershield dirty hands, said he thought he could take a drop of the stuff and paint a battleship.

David
                Not got a clue what to do yet about the dew.

Comment

David,
                  I have the condensation problem in my location year-round too. After posting similar questions and hearing a lot of replies, the two I like are:

Higher cost version - temperature-controlled shop (my druther anyway just for comfort) which adds inspiration to spend more time in the shop to justify the extra expense.

Lower cost version - the lightbulb and cover idea. A lightbulb in the base might work without the cover too. I haven't tried this yet, but my gut tells me that even a 20W bulb would help a bunch, if not eliminate the problem.

In case you haven't figured it out over the past few months yet, I might be just a cheap as you, Dave. Maybe not since I've already come to grips with the temperature-controlled shop concept. I'm even willing to spend the extra up-front money for lots of insulation so I can reap the benefit instead of the utility co. which should help a lot. Of course that stuff isn't a reality so far, but it'll be there if I just stay focused.

Ooh look, something shiney.

Comment

Oil surfaces, cover machines with a noncloth cover e.g. shower curtain, leave the lights on, shine a spot on critical machine areas and run a small electric heater to blow gentle warm air on the floor. And for heavens sake don't let morning moist air blast in on the machines when opening up for the day. Based on lessons learned.

As for the dog, give him a blanket and a bed of wood chips, works for some of our dogs and if he throws the stuff out then he does not need it.

------------------
                    Neil Peters
                    Neil Peters

When on the hunt, a broken part is better than no part at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X