Preventing rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing rust

While I am taking it easy on with my hand, the garage shop is not in use, should I spray all of the exposed metal surfaces down with something like LPS 3? Or some other preservative material?

My tool cabinets have silica gel packets, as well as some camphor blocks, so I am not that concerned about them.

Jerry

Jerry,
    I find LPS3 the best protection if you don't plan to use the machines for a while, give the container a good shake before use to stir up/mix the sediment on the bottom.

Comment

I know some one will chime in and say WD40 sucks, but I have had great luck with it. You just gotta remember to give it a rub down, as WD40 does contain water.

Comment

Try some Rust Check.

Comment

I spray all my stuff down with Kroil. It may not be the correct stuff to use but I get it free and so far it is working.

James

Comment

I use Rig rust preventative. Works great for me even outside for a few days.

I get it from Brownells

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/search.aspx?k=rust&pc=10&ck=0

Comment

I am running a small heater in mygarage at the moment, it will work like a glow stick does in my gun vault.

I need to find a dehumidifer soon.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry, Dehumidifiers work great but generally, the temp must be above 65 degrees or they will freeze over, coils will look like a giant Dunkin Donut with vanilla frosting. As painful as it is, I run heat AND dehumidifier at the same time twice a year ... just before summer heat is adequate for the dehumidifier and again in early fall when the temp is not quite low enough for the heat to kick in. The northeast is bone dry (around 27% RH in the shop now) but during humid summer months, the dehumidifier holds it to around 68%. Den

Comment

I use a locally made product called INOX which a WD 40 type product but better.

I hear the best rust preventatives are lanolin based products.
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

I degrease and use car wax,particularly Nu-finish brand,it does work.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Ringer - I use INOX too on advice from Hare and Forbes, I rang them and asked how they stop their machines from rusting.

I am seriously considering a 5L bottle of the stuff.

Plus, it's food grade, so you can use it on moving parts in the kitchen

Comment

Right now its about 90% humidity outside. We have damp & foggy winters where I live, none of the stores carry dehumidifiers in this area. When I come in the morning to my tin shop the floor looks like it has rained and the concrete is usually damp (nothing like cold and damp conditions for your feet).

I have had good luck with lps 3, much better than WD 40. My precision tools I make sure I bring them inside the house and only bring them to the shop when I need them.

Comment

BillH, WD40 sucks!

There. Now you're right. Somebody said it.

Even though I didn't mean it.

Comment

I use a product called Sheath from Birchwood Casey. Like it.

------------------
                            Paul G.
                            Paul G.

Comment

Working...
                            X