Home Machine Shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Machine Shops

OK, how many of you guys are in over your heads equipment wise. As an example, for 30 years I had to buy every piece of new exercise equipment that came out. Eventually my basement was so stuffed with all this heavy sh*t that I could hardly move around in it. After I turned 50 I finally figured out that the only way to reduce my joint problems was to make my own custom equipment. So I start selling off all the equipment or cutting up the stuff that doesn't sell. Now I'm doing the same thing with machine tools to make new equipment. I think I'm getting in over my head on it. And machine tools are even heavier. Someday I plan on retiring from my regular job and want to move. I can't imagine what the cost will be to ship this stuff.

Paul...Paul...Paul...

You can never have enough tools.

Comment

the phrase 'enough tools' is null, please explain.

Comment

You ALWAYS need more tools to get the job done with.

Jerry

Comment

Hell, you need more tools just to inspect and measure the job just to establish what new tools you need to finish it

Comment

Well..
            I built this two car garage to paint hotrods in.. I can't get the front end of a car into it anymore? Enough said.

David

Comment

OK, I hear you. But I got tools I've never used. The more I buy, the more catalogs I get. I see a neat tool, I think, "Dang, that's a good price, I better get one of those just in case I'll need it someday." How many of you got tools you've never used?
              Or how many of you have bought a tool thinking, "I better get one of those as a backup, just in case this one craps out"?

Comment

Paul, you just collecting tools, or using em? If you're collecting and need to clear some space, I can help there

Comment

I use them. It's just that I'm thinking the price is rising so I better stock up on everything I might need in the future now that the price is low. The same goes for the steel. My outdoor storage shed is starting to sink on one end from the weight of the steel. I don't dare put anymore in the wall mounted rack so I just lean everything against the wall. King Metals used to be about half price on steel until they moved further inside Baltimore. Now they charge the same price that everyone else does. 15 years ago I found a piece of 4'X 8'X 1/8" piece of stainless steel in the backyard of this house I moved into. Being a dumb **** about metal prices at the time I just threw it over the fence onto county property. Years later when I figured out what it was worth the county had come by and hauled it off along with all the old washing machines, dryers, and tires that were there also. I got plenty of space right now. But I figure in a few years my basement will be back like my private gym, only this time with all kinds of machine tools stuck in between. Maybe I'll move my table saw in the kitchen, lower the blade, and put a nice piece of Oak on top of it when it's dinner time.

Comment

I built a 2 car garage to work on my car in. Lots of auto stuff: engine hoist, engine stand floor jacks, jackstands, welders, parts cleaner, you know, stuff. Then I figure I need a lathe, it's in the middle of everything because I'm working on it. Then I get this little shaper and a full size turret mill. I really gotta economize my space somehow... The lathe is close to operational so it'll go against the wall soon.

------------------
                    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
                    Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Guy's don't you think getting new tools equipment etc is half the fun new/used or indifferent !it matters not! main thing is planning where they will all go.
                      I think for me and I've said this before doing up used equpment getting that tool or whatever at a good price is exciting for me. Then taking it to pieces cleaning it and doing it up.
                      Look at Mark with his grinder did a great job on it looks better than new.
                      I hate to see things discarded because they are no longer needed by someone.
                      Yes buying building up the shop to the way you want it is a slow and rewarding business it is a major part of the hobby.
                      I hope to buy till I die
                      I wouldn't worry about moving in the future unless it's the impending future or within a few years I would get on with it you will enjoy doing it all again if you have the energy.
                      I must say setting my shop up and for that matter building it has been a major event I did it all very quickly as I needed to get it done before winter set in fortunately it has been almost rain free for a long time hope that keeps up during the rest of the winter spring etc.Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Paul,
                        Absolutely! You have to many tools, contact me immediately and don’t talk to anyone else about this! I’m the only one who can help.
                        ------------------------------------------------------------
                        I have a system. If I can buy a toll and make something I need, in reasonable time for the cost of the tool, I buy it. I figure I’ll have the tool when the job is done to do other jobs. It’s worked out fairly well over the years but sometimes I get spread to thin because I underestimate the time to make the part I need. It’s called the â€?big eye effect’. I want the tool beyond reason (This, by the way, is a legal and absolutely forgivable judgement error when it comes to tools). Nancy calls this my, “how hard could it be?â€‌ justification.

Comment

Perhaps the solution for the "too many tools" problem" should be appraoched from a different angle. If ones shop is in the basement then the machinery should be purchased with that in mind. Small bench lathes and mill/drills or maybe a small knee mill ala Clausing/Millrite/Rockford or Asian 6x26/8x30 with perhaps a small surface grinder or shaper thrown in. If the shop is in a seperate building or even the garage and the cars sleep outside then you can go bigger as the moving is simpler. But the big question is just what do you want to do with a home shop? Make some money on the side or just make chips as a hobby? And you are the only one that can answer that one.
                          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

You are developing the right attitued. All that exercise equipment has paid off. The right muscle has developed. The words to remember are horde, collect, accumulate and most of all keep in mind you will still not have enough. I speak from experience. Don't be conserned over a big move. That's what trucking companies are for. Best wishes from an accumulator that did not accumulate enough, close but not quite.

Comment

Hahahaha! Too many tools!!! You guys are funny!!! BTW...did I ever mention that several years ago I threw out (yes I know) a 2ft diameter cast aluminum pulley. Umm I need it now..who took it???
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X