A "How to make" Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "How to make" Question...

I need to make some end caps for a 6" tube (od). I have seen them with a true "Cap" that goes around the OD of the tube and allows you to weld it on around the sides of the tube instead of the end. How can I make those? Are they usually stamped out?

Thanks

I think they are usually stamped or cast. But there's no reason you couldn't turn one on a lathe from bar stock. You wouldn't want to make 100's of them that way, but for one, why not?

Walt

Comment

Well it depends on the end use I guess. But you could take some flat and roll a band then weld a piece to it and then weld that on to pipe end. If it's just for looks you could call a commercial fencing company and see if they have any post topper.
      Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

It's probably cheaper to buy them. http://www.kingmetals.com/ sells a domed shaped type. I don't have their catalog here right now so I don't know what the cost is and I can't get their products page to open up.

Comment

Sure... you can buy it... but isnt it funner to just make it?

Comment

Man, I woulda bought em, but they dont go up to 6". Thanks guys.

Comment

Yes they do. The part number is 46-60-C and they are called Beveled Pipe End Caps. They go all the way up to 8". I finally got their site to open up and I couldn't find them either in the drop-downs. But they are in their catalog. I got their 2004 Display Catalog Volume #28 and it shows them.

Comment

They do make them we've used them on short bumper poles to protect installation... generally use on large gate poles. However if you can not find them and they are for a finished look and to seal the top of the pipe from the weather. You could get a 6" bowl and and cast some concrete mushrooms that can be silicone sealed to the pipe. If they have to be steel just get enough 8" steel bowls and trim to fit and mig weld on. Just a couple of odd bowl idea's.
                Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Working...
                X