Paint Chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Chips

About 8 years back I rebuilt my lathe, had the bed reground, had a professional re-scrape the saddle and compound slide,new precision spindle bearings etc. and did a
    repaint, as I use it about 3 days a week
    I have chipped some of the paint normal wear and tare, do you guys let this bother you or re-touch every scratch on your machines, my
    lathe and mill was purchased to use and not be a museum piece, I try to be careful but accidents happen.

Graeme

Do you want the lathe to use, or to look at?

I wouldn't worry about it.

----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I have a new chinese lathe (1 year old now), rather than quality older one.

I was thinking about this when I was cleaning the lathe on night. It sure would be nice to do an evening cleaning, clean off a part that is chipped badly and touch it up a little with a brush.
      It might take more than that though as the paint comes off in pieces in certain areas.
      I wonder how good the paint looks if you brush it on rather than spray.
      I think I'll look in the archives and see what I am suppose to use for paint that wears well. AND can be brushed on reasonably well.

Lenord

Comment

A good oil based enamel can be brushed without marks if you use the proper brush. They used laquer on old Fords and they were brushed.

------------------
        Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
        Techno-Anarchist

Comment

I'll confess to doing quite regular touch-ups on my Myford lathe. Shortly after buying it I purchased a "tin" (as the British say) of the Myford green enamel paint and was subsequently glad I did, since shortly after setting it up I managed to ram the tailstock into the topslide and gouged a big chunk of paint out of the tailstock. About every three months I'll get the "tin" out and do touch-up where needed. A fellow who visited me on Thanksgiving (had heard about my Myford and wanted to see it) remarked that the lathe looked like it was brand new - I use it on average 3 - 5 hours daily (except Sundays). (I'll also confess to using a quality car wax on the paint about every six months.)

Comment

I have a personal digust for machinery getting painted. The paint the manufacturer used is often some enamel that crud will not stick to. Works great and you can actually keep the machine clean. But we had a boss that wanted all the machines in the shop the same color. So in comes the paint crew with some crap latex enamel that every thing sticks to. . Now all of the machines that were painted like this 20 some years ago you can't get the painted surfaces clean no matter how hard you try and it has an effect on the care the crew is willing to give the machinery. They may not mean to abuse the equipment but they will.
            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They used laquer on old Fords and they were brushed.</font>
              Maybe you did your car that way but Ford didn't! Where did you get that idea? The only place brushes were used on old Fords was on touch-up on the chassis/frame parts. It wasn't laquer either it was gilsonite--a close relative of TAR.

Few of the early cars had laquer painted parts. Dash, oil pan and bows were about it and they were dipped! The fenders were later painted in lacquer (1915-1926) and they were dipped too. Ford used VARNISH on car bodys from 1903 to 1926. A two stage finish, I might add. It was squirted on and allowed to flow down. It wasn't until 1927 that sprayed laquer finishes were used.

What was the original question? Oh, yea... Use enamel, epoxy or urethane and touch up to keep from rusting. Otherwise, leave the painting for the NEXT owner.

Comment

if you get pleasure from retouching your machine and it sounds like you do Why Not for goodness sake?
                It's not doing anyone any harm, and you will do better work on a machine you treasure enough to keep in as mint condition as possible, so go ahead I say.Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 12-08-2004).]
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Graeme

Thsi simply will not do - package up all your tools and send them to me and I will not chip the paint - I promise...

Alistair:

Tip:
                  When using touch-up paint try to use the same color as the the machine already is - just because the paint is on sale or you found it in an dust bin does not mean it will look good!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 12-09-2004).]

Comment

You missed my point, I do NOT touch up the paint, I was just wondering if you guys do, as I said in original post I bought my machines to USE, not to be museum pieces to look at.

Graeme

Comment

Graeme
                      I touch up when I rebuild the machines - otherwise I don't bother. Only worry about stuff like that if it effects operation of the machine.

Comment

When I get a machine I take it apart. I clean, inspect, repair, repaint
                        as needed. When it needs to have the paint touched up. I take a small
                        part that has the original color on it to Wal-Mart They can match any
                        color that I want.

Good luck
                        Happy holidays
                        Be safe

Comment

CCWKen, My mistake. Bad info. I had an old timer tell me that they brushed model T's. It made sense to me. I swear I've seen footage on Discovery or History channel of some car fenders being brushed. Maybe not Fords but something...
                          So how was paint applied back in the day?

Anyway, I use a Sata Jet 90 SL for painting shiney stuff. Best gun in the world...

------------------
                          Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga

[This message has been edited by hoffman (edited 12-10-2004).]
                          Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Working...
                          X