Insert holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insert holders

I made the first of my boring head insert holders today. This is my first project on a milling machine(other than keyways and plain face milling). I just have to tap the hole for the holding screw now and heat treat it then I'll see how it works. Try not to laugh too hard when you look closely at all the mistakes I made.

I have tried to get a better picture but my digi camera is only a cheap one.

[This message has been edited by Ringer (edited 12-09-2004).]
    Precision takes time.

Looks good to me.

My problem has always been making square holes. How do you mill the inside point (triangle pocket) that the insert sets in? JRouche

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 12-09-2004).]
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I think it looks great, I have made my own insert holders for my lathe and sometimes they are not so easy to do. I had to resort to doing a hand work to get everything to fit right, thats with a file.

Jerry

Comment

This is how I made it. I first turned the shank to size(18mm). Them milled 1mm off the top and bottom to be used to set it in the vice.

Then I set it in the vice and milled the first flat. Then I swivelled the vice 30 degrees one way and milled one side of the pocket then swivelled 60 degrees back from that point and milled the second side of the pocket.

Then back to 0 degrees to mill out the inside edge. Then I swivelled my mill head 5 degrees forward and moved the vice back to the first side I did and milled the chamfer for the positive insert. Then did the other side by moving the mill head 5 degrees back.

Lastly I cut the long slot for the chips. I have a small 12mm Iscar boring bar and copied off it to a certain degree.

I have only the holding screw to put in. My tooling supplier has informed me that the screw thread should be offset a tiny bit so as you tighten it, it pulls the insert into the pocket sides a bit.
        Precision takes time.

Comment

Looks spiffy - hope you got the geomotry spot on for the insert cutting edges - that is the hardest part.

After you finish the piece (the screw) I would harden and temper it then blue it to protect it. 4130 or 4140 is ideal for these tools. Or you can use the prehardened stock.

Comment

Thrud:

Assuming this boring bar is not being used in some sort of production setting, why harden it? Hardening it will prevent marring from the hold down screws, but will it offer that much advantage in the use of this tool?

ST

Comment

Working...
            X