Are Sockets Hard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Sockets Hard?

I have a project which requires a round with a 1" hex hole through length-wise. I was thinking of using a 1" deep well 6 point socket and parting it off to the length that I need and then drilling and tapping through the side for a set screw. Can I do it with HSS, or will it be too hard to machine? Thanks in advance.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

You can drill them with HHS and even thread them.

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 12-10-2004).]
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

G.A.E., is that a shaper tool? Internal gear cutting? I like. JRouche
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

snap on sockets are pretty hard.

peace.
        bill
        ........i dremel. therefore i am..........................

Comment

OOOHH, I see, that is a spacer right? Rotate the nut in the socket, you get your steps. Neat.

Comment

It's for cutting square holes.

Comment

Damn, G.A.Ewen,

That's a good idea! Can you post a side view? And the innards? What size socket is that?

VERY COOL!

Andy Pullen
              Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

Get a cheap impact socket. It should be soft so it break under the impact of the air wrench.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andypullen:
                  Damn, G.A.Ewen,

That's a good idea! Can you post a side view? And the innards? What size socket is that?

VERY COOL!

Andy Pullen
                  </font>

I'll try to take a couple of better photos tonight. It's a 3/8" drive 3/4" scoket. There is a nut welded in the back so that I can use a bolt as an adjustable back stop.

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 12-10-2004).]

Comment

Thanks....
                    Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

I guess it depends on the brand of socket.
                      I modified a 'westward' socket a while ago. Couldn't cut it with hss - had to use carbide cutting tools.

Comment

I cut a deep well socket, I needed a extra deep well socket to tighten the pulley nut on a harley (late model).

THE socket squealed like a pig. I was using hss cutters and got to practise sharpening them.

The one I cut was HARD.. it took about a hour and four or five resharpens. The parting tool just died within seconds each time. I used threading inserts.

I welded a piece of pipe in the middle and now have a $75 speciality socket. It would not have been worth it if my time cost anything to someone else. I'd have charged more.

Comment

The impact sockets are usually softer than the chrome.If it is hard just anneal it.
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Oh yea man! Sockets make all kinds of useful tools. I usually pick up a couple of the loose impact sockets at HF while I'm there. They make great press tooling. (Bearings, sleeves, u-joints, gasket punches/cutters, spacers, etc.)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
                              The impact sockets are usually softer than the chrome.If it is hard just anneal it.</font>

Impact sockets are often made of 41xx hardened and double tempered to take the blows the same as air chisels.

Comment

Working...
                              X