Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refilling a O2 Bernomatic tank with Compressed air

Hi All,
    Firstly let me state that I haven't tried this yet... What I wanted to know is is it possible to attach a fill valve to my oxygen tank so I can fill my o2 tank with compressed air to use with my oxy propane kit. I am doing some jewelcrafting as a hobby. I am using the bernzomatic oxygen/propane brazing kit. The oxygen bottle cost to refill is killer. and I read that compressed gas and oxgen work well, of course not as hot but still hotter than just propane.. And I had the Idea if I drilled a fill valve in the tank and filled it up at the local gas station with air.If so what air pressure should I stop at.
    This woul allieviate my empty wallet ordeal..

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 12-10-2004).]

But why? Air can't replace O2. It is only 20% oxygen.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
      is it possible to attach a fill valve so I can fill my o2 tank with compressed air to use with my oxy propane kit. If so what air pressure should I stop at.</font>

Kinda confused with the question. Is it an Oxy system or air, you stated "oxy propane kit" but you wanna fill the oxy bottle with air.

I am assuming you have something like a turbo torch that mixes air with fuel for the burn.

You can "rig" a oxy bottle for filling with air, just use standard air quick disconects and pipe fittings.

But I recomend against it. Only because it is a dedicated Ox. bottle and I don't think it a good idea to mess with them, unless.

You repaint the bottle (not oxy green), completely remove the oxy valve and purge with H2O.

The bottle can handle any pressure you might make at home, your new valve might not, but they are supposed to blow before the shrapnel case does.

A simpler and maybe larger capacity would be the small five gal. propane tanks available everywhere for cheap. I use those for portable compressed air. They will also take a "fair" ammount of pressure, not like the Oxy tank but at least as much as yer 175psi compressor.

Speaking of that, for home grown compressed air systems the home sized tanks (120 gal plus) for propane work great, have better certs and are less expensive than "air compressor tanks". JRouche

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Evening ,
        Thanks for your replies. I updated the main post to elaborate.
        Cheers,
        Hobbes

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 12-10-2004).]

Comment

Again, air won't work in place of O2. The mixture will be completely wrong. Propane is very sensitive to proper mixture.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Don't! It's dangerous! That's why they are called "disposable bottles".

Comment

Why not just buy a bigger oxygen bottle? The refill cost would be much less per burning minute. Or am I missing something?

------------------
              Paul in NE Ohio
              Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

I think he is using one of those small torches that use the oxygen bottles that are the same size as propane cylinders. These are not refillable, and low pressure air would not work.

My best advice for these units is not to buy in the first place, and if you own one, throw it away and buy a proper O/A set. It is much cheaper to use in the long run, and much more versatile.
                Jim H.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...and if you own one, throw it away and buy a proper O/A set.</font>
                  What? I have one of those "type" from Sears--About 20yrs old. I bought new tank adaptors for the regulators and bought tanks (120/40). The torches are small and easy to handle. For cutting, you change a tip not the whole front of the torch. It's done everything I've asked it to do including cutting 3/4" flats. It welds 1/4" plate as well as 20ga. sheet.

Don't throw it away, send it to me!

I just remembered, Mine was a Map/Oxy set up. The Map regulator will work for acetylene.

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 12-11-2004).]

Comment

Hobbes

Listen - if you plan on working Platinun forget that crap and go buy a Victor oxy/acetylene set. You can do Silver work with a MAPP/air Turbo-Torch but not Gold. If you want to do finer work buy the Smith micro torch, but buy the Victor first so that you always have the balls to melt platinum for casting or soldering it. There is no substitute for the right tools.

Comment

Hit Ebay,they always have proper torches and regs cheap.I see ligit jewlers torches all the time for less than $30 USD.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                      X