Backlash Bridgeport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backlash Bridgeport

Should there be backlash in the spindle? It is a series 1 with the step pullies. I can rock the spindle back and forth without moving the driven pully on top. Is there a coupling in there that is worn out?

i can do this on mine .
    the thing is driven by a timing belt in one of the ranges, cant remember which one
    try it in the other range and you will have almost no backlash ...
    all the best...mark

Comment

Bridgeport step pulley head has an upper and lower spindle assembly that engage each other via splines when in direct drive range. The backlash you feel is the play in the splines.
      In backgear range the two are not directly connected but the drive to the lower section is via the cogged timing belt. You won't notice
      any backlash in this range.

Hope this helps.
      Splicer

Splicer

Comment

Thanks, I thought I was going to have to pull everything apart. It is probebly worn but if this is normal then I will just run it like that.

Comment

No problems with my mill
          The wear shows up most when you are flycutting.......lots of clacking and banging .
          but it does not effect the finish.
          it just drives you bonkers...
          Think most of this spline wear on my mill comes from the fact that... all it was used for was flycutting in its past life......
          It was doing it 6 hours a day for years.
          the ways and lead screws are good because it was used in one set-up with a rotary table on it whilst flycutting all this time.
          I now have a varispeed br2j head to put on it ...so hope to get a bit of peice and quite when flycutting.
          all the best...mark

Comment

Thats why I asked the question. All the banging and clanging. If I get a good cut going it is nice but if I am taking a light cut the clattering startes, or a really heavy cut. Thanks for the info guys.

Comment

The clattering and banging also has other sources . one is...
              The pins at the top of the head.
              the ones that ride in the diagonal slot and lift it out of gear.
              they can come loose or/and strip there threads.
              when this happens the Bridgeport does not quite get pulled out of mesh....and it rides slightly in ....making this clatering noise ...also it is hard to put in the low range without several attempts and grinding.
              Check the pins !!!!
              all the best.mark

Comment

Ya I know about thos pins. When I bought the mill it would not go out of low speed because the pins were stripped right out and just sitting in the holes. I took it all apart and tapped the holes a bit bigger and got some pins in. They are not the best but I am running a VFD so I don't change from low to high very much. Those pins are the worst design. The rest of the machine is very stout though. Some things just get over looked I guess.

Comment

Working...
                X