Auction results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction results

Two auctions,two different cities this week.

One in Harrahan,La the other in Pascaguola,Ms.Both at Northrup Gruman ship systems.

I landed 1500# of Lignum Vitae wood blocks,$165 and a NIB blast cabinet dust collector/filter for $25,yes I are happy

The boss landed the shear I posted for $1300 and a 4'x3/8 plate roll for $300.

We went halves on 6,000 lbs of firebrick,refractory board and morter.$100

Also landed misc. fittings,over 80 Norgen NIB air reg./filters for $175

Other deals were a Cincinatti 24" shaper $65.00
    Geka iron worker,55ton,$650
    Small radial arm drill(import)$275 I think?

The two Powcon 300amp welders sold for $650 and $725,I am kicking myself for not going higher on them,both were brand new with the leads and tig torches.Single or three phase input.I should have run them up at least $800,I figure they probibly cost $1800-2000 new,oh well.

And I have no clue whatsoever what "backshells" are,but two crates of them sold for $5500

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 12-10-2004).]
    I just need one more tool,just one!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
    We went halves on 6,000 lbs of firebrick,refractory board and morter.$100]</font>
    Ok! Time to start that new Smoker/BBQ. JRouche
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Quote:"We went halves on 6,000 lbs of firebrick,refractory board and morter.$100"

Swammi says, "I see a very large live steam project in your future".

Frank

Comment

I could use a some of the Lignum Vitae wood blocks if you're going to sell any. I just need enough to make a couple of hammer heads. (Metal shaping)

Comment

The Lignum Vitae was a real deal. I brought some back from Jamaica when I lived there. Still have a little left.

Joe

Comment

WS
            A local hardwood supplier has a log of Lignum Vitae 84"long 24" diam no cracks ($7,000 Canadian) - it may be the largest piece left on the planet that is readily available. Beautiful burl too - BTW. I would kill for that log...

Comment

There are still a few Lignum Vitae trees in Jamaica but they are all small, 8 to 10" diameter is the biggest I saw. They use them for carvings. I bought a few of the carved animals when I was down there, really nice. I tryed to buy a 4 foot long alegator but couldn't agree on the price so I passed on it. They call it Iron wood.

Joe

Comment

They still use it for shaft and rudder strut bearing as that they have found is the only thing that works good.Around here you can still come across deals on it.I got lucky at the shipyard auction,it was the wrong crowd for wood,if it had been a woodworking plant or cabinetshop sale it would have brought $6,000 easy.

I'll probibly sell half and use the other myself.My best friend down the road built one of the woodworking benches thats on the front cover of Fine Woodworking's Workbench book,he had me single point the vice screws out of lignum,boy is that stuff fine,turns like 7075 aluminum.
                He is building an identical bench for a customer,he needs two more screws cut,I'm thinking of making four,two for me two for him and trying mine on ebay,I'll bet they will sell if listed right.
                I got to go get the crame read for Monday,that shear be heavy man.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PolskiFran:
                  Quote:"We went halves on 6,000 lbs of firebrick,refractory board and morter.$100"

Swammi says, "I see a very large live steam project in your future".

Frank
                  </font>
                  Close,me I see a bigger aluminum foundry in my future,possibly even an iron
                  coupla,and they say Duesenberg engines are out of production Ha!I even have the wood for the rear seals Yes I am happy

Comment

lignum vitae??? I believe thats latin for living stone or rock??

Is this a very hard wood or something? I don't think I have ever seen any.

Is it petrified wood?

Comment

Seems like it, but no, it's wood wood. Lingume is a very dense wood. Off the top of my head I think it's about 98lbs/ft^3 a little denser than cocobolo but not the densest wood. Desert iron wood and snake wood are denser but don't have the practical applications. Aside from carving mallets it is commonly used for packing boxes for prop shafts. It's color ranges from olive green to brown.

Dave

Comment

I don't know anything about Lignum Vitae, but we have ironwood here in the Az desert. It is dense enough to not be able to float in water.
                        Michael

Comment

Here is what it looks like,the stuff on top is the species I have&gt;

http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/lignumvitae.php

Another website has Lignum Vitae as meaning "wood of life" apparently it has medicinal properties as well

See here-

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs...num_vitae_uses

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 12-11-2004).]

Comment

Darin if you have a mallet sized hunk you can part with email me a price - I have always wanted a carvers mallet made of it.

Lee Valley has Sapodilla mallets but you have to keep them in a plastic bag or they dryout and check on you - plus they are covered in wax - yuch!

Comment

that website says its 3 TIMES as hard as oak, WOW. no wonder its used for bearings

Comment

Working...
                              X