1.5 kw 28 volt generators...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 kw 28 volt generators...

I acquired 2 little mil. surplus generators. They have cool Wisconsin 2 cylinder engines but I'm not sure what to do with them. Any ideas? I don't have a 110v generator and I was thinking about hooking one to an inverter. They have a pot to adjust the voltage.

------------------
    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
    Techno-Anarchist

DC or AC? Some are AC,but are also 400hertz.

If they are 400hertz you can make a niffty induction heating furnace But don't hook them onto anything 60 hertz,if you do it will run really good.....for about 10 seconds before the smoke gets out

You may come out ahead and buy a generator from somebody like surplus center or nothern tool,one of the belt drive models and use it direct drive through a shaft coupling.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Rectify it, then invert it.

Once properly rectified you can either use a large 2kVA ups to convert it back to useable AC directly of by building your own circuitry.

I am sure you can get a commercial inverter somewhere for the unit - sounds like it would make a good portable welder if nothing else. Those Wisconsin engines can be a PITA to rebuild when they go south on you - I never liked the ones in the swathers (V-4). Pretty goofy engines.

Comment

I was thinking about a welder but it only says 50 amps. They look like pretty neat little OHV engines. 16 cu.

------------------
        Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Dave is right on them Wisconsin engines,the two cylinders and singles are good,but the v-4's POS.

We had one on a bailer when I was little,learn all my cuss words from grandpa while he worked on it.

1975 model machine and the bastard had babbitted rods.It would burn a rod bearing ever 500 bales.

And you would not believe the parts prices.I have a five cylinder radial air compressor thats driven by a v-4.The engine grenaded itself.A re-man from the dealer is only $5600 that for a lousey 30hp engine.
          Screw that,I'm putting a 3cylinder Perkins in it,I can rebuild one of those complete including machine work for $900,plus do it in one day.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 12-11-2004).]
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I remeber seeing those in the military, some field tech was running a funny looking electric drill off of one of those.

This was a part of the time that 24 volts was the the standard for the military.

Jerry

Comment

I recently purchased two generators, still w/packaging and warranty 8,000 watts, never had fuel put in them.. $400 each.

Resold both. He had a Mucho larger 2 cyl model w/electric start for $650. That was a week ago thou. I was sick in bed that day, didn't even look it over.

I think the world got overstocked on generators after the Y2K thing never happened, people returned them and got a refund.

With deals like that floating around, why work on one?

David

Comment

Dunno, I have an Eclipse aircraft or tank generator that is 28V DC at some large amperage, but no motor attached at the moment.

I have never been able to find any info on mine, all they have is a bunch of contract numbers etc. Typical military stuff.

Internet searches for info on it did find me a PBY for sale, but I didn't want that (search found the two gens that were spares for it).

What mine will end up as is a recharger for the battery bank, in case the sun isn't out enough when I need the batteries I use to power a 2.5 KW inverter in the shed. Also, if I can find out the amperage and other data, I figure to make a welder out of it, so I get double-duty.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

How would you go about turning one into a welder? It's 28v 50 a 1.5 kw. Not that I'll do it any time soon but just wondering for the sake of discussion. My wife says it's like sanford and son out in the shop...

------------------
                  Techno-Anarchist

Comment

You would need a field control to set the voltage / max current, and probably a simple arc stability inductor. Beyond that there no doubt would be niceties that I don't appreciate, as I am no welder....and there are NO courses anywhere nearby.

Because I have that generator, and a spare Kohler engine, I figured to add the capability, scratching around until I figure out what's up with it.

A neighbor who is no mechanic and not much of a tool-user, paradoxically CAN weld, and so I figure to swap some instruction for repairs and use of ladders, etc. (He has had one ladder, worklight, heatgun and small shear for a year on a long drawn out renovation project.)

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                    X