No announcement yet.

identifying valenite inserts

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • identifying valenite inserts

    How can I identify the Valenite inserts that I have collected at various auctions? I need to know what purpose each was made for and what holders I need for them. I tried the Valenite website and couldn't find much info. Where would be the best reference guide for these?

    I asume that they are for lathe use or for milling cutters that use insertable cutters.


  • #2
    This might help,if its not what your looking for they have other pages that might>
    I just need one more tool,just one!


    • #3
      Try and visit your local Valenite dealer, see if he has a Gold colour Valenite insert catalog that he is willing to part with.
      It has all the Valenite inserts and a breakdown of the numbering system, different type chip breakers, carbide grades, and applications.



      • #4
        Not an expert here but from the variety I've seen, many have the specific manufacturer's carbide grade on them and nothing else. Most of the major tool catalogs have decent images in their insert sections (Travers, Rutland have good color images). The grade plus picture should give you the proper ID. You can measure the IC (inscribed circle) and thickness for any polygon shaped inserts. Other styles can be trickier.


        [This message has been edited by nheng (edited 12-11-2004).]


        • #5
          If the inserts are in a pack you can cross over the shapes (numbers & letters) from anybodies insert cataog, Valenite, Kennametal, etc. for the most part. Those are industry standards now for the chipbreakers & grades you usually have to go to the original mfg. catalog to find out the recommended speeds & feeds. If you don't have the inserts in a pack you have to do some measuring & compare to the industry standard to see what you have. All the letters & numbers mean something that can guide you to what holders they go in.


          • #6
            all insert companies follow ISO discriptions for inserts so that you can select any makers inserts and they fit your tools

            There are some maker specific niddlly bits on the end of very long insert descriptions (weird ones you are not apt to use) that are different for every maker - but you don't need to worry about them.

            Valenite has cleaned up (few selections to choose from) their line now that Kennametal owns them, but the rep told me that they will be going ape**** on inserts soon as they are re-organized internally as a company. They are going to do most of the custom carbide for Kennametal - they were a little better at the beverage industry (carbide beer can dies, etc) so they will continue doing what they did best.


            • #7
              Thanks for all the tips. I have been swamped at work and haven't had the time to research this as much as I would like.

              Some one scratched off most of the numbers on the plastic packages so I am a little in the dark on some of them. Where is the best place to buy holders for them for my South bend 10K? Can I make my own? Do the inserts mount into the holders at some angle other than level to the work or is the geometry all figured into the angles of the insert? Why these inserts so heavy--are they made from Kryptonite or something? Thanks--Mike.


              • #8
                <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mikem:
                Where is the best place to buy holders for them for my South bend 10K?</font>
                -I've seen Valenite and Kennemetal insert-holders for lathes, with shanks ranging from 5/16" to 1" or better, in several tool catalogs. I have an Airgas catalog with a nice selection, and the latest ENCO "hot deals" flyer has some listed on the back cover.

                Prices vary, and you'll want to make sure you get holders that actually fit the inserts you have.
                <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Can I make my own?</font>
                -Most assuredly. Here one I made by just notching and drilling the back of a cemented-carbide bar, and here's a board post I made a few days ago about a quick-change toolblock I made specifically to hold TNMG and other triangular inserts.

                <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Do the inserts mount into the holders at some angle other than level to the work or is the geometry all figured into the angles of the insert?</font>
                -Um, yes and no. Most single-sided inserts have 7 to 11 degrees of clearance built in, and so their holders tend to have anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees of positive rake machined into the insert pocket.

                In the above two photos I linked, the red one I milled flat. Zero rake, just for expediency when making the tool. In the toolblock, I gave it maybe 5 degrees positive rake.

                Double-sided inserts tend to have no side clearance (flat sides) and are used in negative-rake holders. Look at the post about the odd-sided collet blocks- that inserted milling cutter holds its inserts at a heavy negative rake.

                Whether you make them or buy them, you'll want to get proper holders for whatever inserts you're using.

                <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why these inserts so heavy--are they made from Kryptonite or something?</font>
                -Technically, sintered tungsten carbide. It's something like three times denser than steel, so yeah, they's heavy.


                Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)