Need to glue HSS to Aluminum 6061

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to glue HSS to Aluminum 6061

I need to glue a HSS shim to an aluminum block of 6061 grade. I have tried Epoxy with FG and also the Last Glue (supposed to glue it all). I cannot add much more thickness to it either. I also don't need any strengh as far as pull or tear - just enough for the shim to stay in place.

Thanks for the help!!
    Roberto

Have you tried Cyanoacrylate?

HTRN

------------------
    This Old Shed
    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Try polyurithane glue. Why was epoxy not adequate?

Comment

A good contact cement would hold it in place if you don't need any strength.

Joe

Comment

Right up my alley since I work in the adhesives industry.

I have had sucess with JB weld epoxy. Also cyanoacrylate (super glue) as suggested will work. A good PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) will also work well provided it's applied right. Any chance you could heatseal it under some pressure? I have a fantastic heatseal adhesive I could give you, you'd have to heat it to about 400F then let it cool with a weight on it. JB weld would be your easiest option but you'll want about 0.001" thickness minimum for a good bond. Also clean the metal very well with a brush followed by MEK or similar.

Comment

I would be highly tempted to use a contact cement, one that doesn't get brittle, and probably one that is solvent based.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Silver solder.
              I agree, super glue should work fine. Remember to clean the heck outta it. You will need to clamp it very tight to get a minimum joint thickness and strenth. I would let it sit for several hours if time is not an issue.
              JRouche

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 12-07-2004).]
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Have you tried double sidded tape? The type we use for holding thin parts when we machine them. Super powerfull and it stands some detergent as well.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. I tried CA but I might not have waited long enough - Patience, who needs it, right?
                  I wil also try the JB and double face tape.

RSR911 - Thanks for the offer. Let me try these options first and if they don't work I will take up your offer.

Happy holidays and I will report back!!!
                  R.

Comment

Working...
                  X