Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need French speaker with grisly mind

I make some really tiny parts on the lathe for some of my models. Parting
    these tiny things off can be a problem. I probably have enough lost parts in
    the swarf behind the lathe to make another engine.

If the part has an axial hole (e.g., a 0-90 nut), I put a piece of florist wire
    in the tailstock drill chuck and insert the wire into the nut. When the
    parting tool cuts through, the nut obligingly jumps onto the wire and remains
    captive.

However, if the part has no axial hole (e.g., a tiny decorative finial),
    ensuring that it doesn't escape is more difficult.

Today I may have solved that problem. I took a clear plastic pill cylinder and
    attached a magnet to the bottom. Into the side of this bottle I milled a 1/8"
    through slot circumferentially. It provides a tiny 'window' into the interior
    of the cylinder.

In use the bottle is stuck, via the magnet, to a piece of steel chucked in the
    tailstock chuck. The tailstock is adjusted so the bottle encloses the
    workpiece. The cutoff tool goes in through the 'window'. When the part pops
    free it's trapped by the bottle. (The bottle cap, with a slot cut in it,
    ensures that it doesn't get out the open top of the bottle.)

I tried it several times today and so far it's worked nicely.

Ok, here's my question. Since I have, as far as I can tell, 'invented' this
    contraption, I think I'm entitled to name it. Its operation instantly
    reminded me of the wicker basket used to catch the head on a guillotine.

My French sucks. Can anyone tell me what the French name for that basket is?
    The best I've been able to come up with so far is 'panier de tث†te' or, perhaps,
    'courbeille de tث†te'.

If no one can help me, I'll just resort to the ever descriptive German and call
    it a Kopfkorb. After all, the Germans guillotined more people than the French
    did.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo
    Regards, Marv

http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Le' Headrest
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Wee part catchaire
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

try here

http://www.metaphor.dk/guillotine/Pa...dquarters.html

Comment

"Le damn brilliant idea"

Allan

Comment

I'd name it in American English.

Comment

Thanks, Allan. While it's not really needed for larger parts, I expect that a
              larger version could be fabricated from a two liter plastic soda bottle. If
              nothing else, that might have some potential as a chip deflector.

I discovered another nuance to using the device. Covering the back half of the
              pill vial interior with a light coat of grease causes the tiny part to stick
              fast, thus obviating the need for the cap on the open end of the vial.

Tinker and wierd (sic): Obviously, your French sucks even worse than mine :-)

Happy: I had already visited that site. Lots of fascinating history if one
              has a strong stomach but no labeled parts diagram for a guillotine. I suspect
              a BATF conspiracy to keep that kind of information away from kids wanting to
              build overly dramatic science fair projects.

Mac1: Would that be the American English that regularly uses the words
              vernier, tuyere and gauge in the machine shop?

Regards, Marv

Regards, Marv

Comment

mklotz
                I always say scale, nozzle and gage.

Comment

Try this:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Jerry

Comment

"sans merde, fax pas" or "Oops!" in english (pardon my pig-francophone)

Comment

"le panier d'osier de guillotine"
                      (the wicker basket (of) the guillotine)

or for short,

"le panier d'osier"
                      (the wicker basket)

Example: "Observer le goأ»t du dأ©tail pittoresque ou passionnel dans les tأ©moignages et interroger sa nأ©cessitأ© : les chevilles saignent dans les entraves des condamnأ©s ; il faut rأ©gler la guillotine ; une tأ?te pأ¨se trأ¨s lourd dans le panier d'osier."

"The head weighs heavy in the wicker basket"

or, very simply: "le panier".

In digging around various French sites it appears that in any context dealing with execution any reference to the "basket" is a reference to the wicker basket of the guillotine. Incidentally, this is probably the origin of the English saying "basket case".

It could be argued that "basket case" is a reference to weaving baskets at the funny farm but then consider the closely related expression "falling to pieces", especially in view of the likely reaction of most people on the way to the guillotine...

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-11-2004).]
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I'm with Mac1, since you're from the USA use an American English name, with no French connotation whatsoever. Like "Separation Box"

Comment

Thanks, I knew I could rely on you for an answer to a language question.

It always struck me that wicker would be a bit on the leaky side for that
                          application but beheadings are inherently messy so I suppose it doesn't
                          matter.

I always thought that 'basket case' referred to something so fallen apart that
                          a basket was required to collect the components. Nevertheless, your suggestion
                          has the ring of truth.

Given the horror stories I've read about botched hangings and electrocutions,
                          it always seemed that the guillotine was the one bit of practical engineering
                          the French got right. Then they went on to produce the Deux Cheveau :-)

Regards, Marv

Regards, Marv

Comment

No more french fries for you Duct Taper
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Catch all
                              ???

Good luck
                              Happy holidays
                              Be safe

Comment

Working...
                              X