X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste Oil Heaters

Anyone had any experience with these .
    I'm about to buy one ...i think .
    it's a big one that uses a gallon an hour minimum.
    This one has a heat exchager on it and it's a Thermobile AT500...125,000-200,000 BTU .It's masive though.
    My workshop is 25 by 25 feet.
    Been told that that this model can be fitted with a ducted air system,and the air blown into my workshop and possibly my house...(.been told there are no fumes in the ducted air}.
    Also on the Thermobile site (not the american site.. the Danish one) it mentions thermostatically controling it ......when the stat is off.......what oil consumption would it be then? ...as the burner cant be turned off.
    if it just piloted along using a pint an hour inbetween starting up ......then it's yes to it ...
    It's been offered to me at quite a low price of آ£250.....
    I would not spend anymore just in case a neibour complains and I'm made to decomision it .
    If the council (local authority) find out I hear they want آ£200 a year for a licence to burn waste oil....HOPEFULLY NOT OR IT'S NOT VIABLE.
    I see possibilities of it saving me one hell of a lot of money on my bills.
    but it would mean me going around garage/service centres collecting there old oil.......I dont mind doing this though.
    what's everyones thoughts on this ....good idea ...or bad idea.

Quote from site
    "The AT 500 comes with an internal fan on the back of the unit so it blows across the heat exchanger as well as an internal combustion fan. The burner plate easily slides out for quick cleaning. It will comfortably heat 7,000 square feet and runs on low at 125,000 BTU and high at 200,000 BTU. It has a 14.5 gallon tank and uses between 1 – 1.6 gallons of fuel an hour."

All the best......mark

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 12-12-2004).]

Here is a link which explains how to build one yourself, which may give you some idea as to the efficiency and operation etc.
    http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

rollin'

Comment

Yup had a look at all those build one yourself sites .
      the way i go about things ...i would still be building it in ten years time :0
      all the best..mark

Comment

That is a lot of heat. are you sure you need all that? that is way more than I would put in my shop.

Comment

the heater is what is avalable to me at a cheap enough right price .....
          I supose I could modfy it to be more economical by making the pan smaller and puting verispeed on the pump ....I dont know .
          the smaller models sell on ebay for آ£500 plus.......this is for ten year old beat ones......the smaller ones are about آ£800 new.
          all the best.....mark

Comment

Mark
            Make sure that you use a good filter on the waste oil inlet because despite what they might say the burners can still get clogged from foreign particles like metal flakes.

I had a customer that builds industrial quality ultra-high 97%+ effeciency units here in Edmonton upto several million BTU's and they work very well. These units are a far cry from mere oil burning furnaces - they even have 3 types of catalytic converters and electrostatic precipitators for any ash out the chimney - extreme measures for the environment, but very low emmisions and maximum capture of energy from the waste oil.

The chimney, btw is plastic pipe - not metal and is relatively cool to the touch

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 12-12-2004).]

Comment

We have a Shenandoah that keeps a 150 x 40 toasty all winter. Yours would make a pretty good oven out of your shop but that is a good price so go for it.

Dan

Comment

Thankyou Thrud
                They have a built-in replacable oil filter on these.
                I'm all for saving money on fuel/energy... I try my best .
                I run my car on LPG...and I have many many wacky ideas running around in my brain on how to save more cash.
                They are experementing with a new idea in Britain using a sterling engine running off mains gas.
                This gets installed in your home and runs a mini genertor that pumps electricity back into the grid 24 hours a day.
                the idea being that you pump so much power back over that 24 hour period that you sell it back to the power company at profit .
                The waste heat from the sterling engine go's into your central heating.
                the unit it about as big as a portable tv.
                There eventual goal in there thinking,is to have all house holds have these,and "do-away" with powerstations altogether.
                I've tried to call the power companies about this ...and they dont have any admin or inferstructure to deal with requests ......sounds like another good brit idea going down the pan to me, because of bad planning, management and publicity.
                cause I spent a whole day phoning them and got nowhere .
                more info here :-

http://www.whispergen.com/

All the best......mark

Comment

I wish we (Texans) could use those. They are outlawed in Texas. You could get your neighbors to help keep the appetite of the oil burner under control. Collect all the used oil from the backyard mechanics AND garages. You sure don't want to have to go buy fuel for it.

Is there a way to plumb-in a larger tank? Otherwise, you could be storing a lot of oil for refills. On cold days, you might go through a tank a day. That's about 11 automotive oil changes!

You might want to give that some thought.

Comment

Ken,it just so happens that everyone that has oil fired central heating are now replacing there ugly metal tanks with prity plastic ones .
                    there old 250 gallon tanks are free , from the people who replace them .
                    all the best..mark

Comment

Depending on where you are, the tanks - 250 gallon - are going for cheap like mentioned. I still have the old steel one though.

Built one heck of a BBQ out of an old oil tank a couple of years back, a fellow staff member and I. Can cook for a small army on it, though it takes about 50 to 75# of charcoal to get it to heat.

In the UK, there may be a bit of a problem getting one of these 250 gallon tanks as I recall.

I am looking at a smaller waste oil heater in the future to heat a 25 x 20 garage area. Following this post carefully.

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 12-12-2004).]
                      CCBW, MAH

Comment

The gallons per hour are at 100% duty. In a shop your size it will only run 5 to 15 minutes per hour. You can run anything from stove oil to 90 wt so you might be able to get by the charge by delivering some stove oil then adding the used oil when no one is looking. We use about 250 gallons a month but that is in a big shop and a bigger heater.

Dan

Comment

For what it's worth, when I was a kid about 60 years ago, a local garage owner made his own waste oil conversion of an old wood burner by simply putting a big flat rock on top of the grate and piping in gravity fed waste oil with about a 1/4" Copper gas line from an elevated tank out in the bay where he changed oil from cars. It was controlled with a simple in-line valve. He fired it up with some oil soaked waste in the firebox and then cracked open the oil valve to drip oil on the burning waste. It sure kept his place warm!

Comment

I had been thinking of a waste oil burner for my shop, mostly because there is a place that does oil changes right across the street.
                            But I have yet to find a unit that does not require a lot of ongoing maintenance.

Epsilon<
                            If you should decide to do this, use more that one filter and a settling tank before the filter. Also why do you say that the burner never shuts off, those that I have looked at do shut off just like any oil burner and reignite when needed. Some years ago my son-in-law had a job installing them in businesses. They are not yet authorized for residential use. But who cares right.

About that Whispergen? I am getting a woody just lookin at it. I really like the idea of useing an old technology, the sterling engine, combined with a new technology, power generation, I hope they come to the States soon cause I will be looking into it.

Later

------------------
                            Paul G.
                            Paul G.

Comment

.quote
                              " Also why do you say that the burner never shuts off, those that I have looked at do shut off just like any oil burner and reignite when needed."

because these ones have to be fired up with diesel on a rag to get them going...as far as know .
                              think they continue working once the cast iron pan is hot....think once they go out you would have to be there with diesel and rags again .....but im not sure about this.
                              another site says that ducted ones are thermostically controled ......i think the ducts are and not the burner .
                              here is a copy of an FAQ PAGE (AMERICAN 120 VOLTS ONE)

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does a heater run on a full tank?
                              Every heater will run a full day on a full tank depending on the setting.

Can the heater be hooked up to a larger oil tank?
                              Yes, a bigger tank can be connected to the existing tank by means of an oil line.

Do the heaters have oil overflow protection?
                              Yes, all heaters feature a small cup with a micro switch that protects against over flowing.

Do the heaters have overheat protection?
                              Yes, the heaters all have an overheat thermostat which switches the heater off if it gets too hot.

Is the heater thermostat controlled?
                              No, the heater is either on or off. When it is on you can select two settings, a high and a low setting.

Does the heater start up automatically?
                              No, the heaters have to be started up manually by pouring a cup of diesel on the burner dish after which you light this diesel with a burning piece of paper or cloth.

Does the oil need to be preheated or filtered before it is entered in the tank of the heater?
                              No, the tank is fitted with two filters, one in the filling line and one on the pump. We do however advise to double check the oil you use in case it is to thick to filter or mix it with diesel to get better viscosity.

How often does the heater need to be cleaned?
                              Basically the burner dish should be cleaned every day. The top lid should be taken off and the dish can be taken out with the special hook that comes with every heater. AT 300 heaters are supplied with an extra dish so this requires only a couple of minutes. Cleaning of the burner chamber depends on the quality of the oil. Typically this needs to done every month. It is done with a scraper that comes with the heater. This will take approximately 5 minutes maximum.

What is the voltage of the heaters?
                              Thermobile heaters are available in 120 V 60hz.

How many amps do the heaters require?
                              The heaters run between 1.5amps (300 series) and 2.5 amps (400&500 series)

Are the heaters UL – CSA approved?
                              Thermobile is ISO 9001:2000 certified and all Thermobile AT Heaters are UL296A Compliant and CSA/US listed and meet EPA guidelines.

Are the heaters tested before they are shipped?
                              The heaters are not actually lighted but all pumps are tested after they have been installed.

all the best....mark

Comment

Working...
                              X