Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost lost it,thinks to remember about cranes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost lost it,thinks to remember about cranes!

Well we went for the shear today,truck showed up 45 minutes late,crane at the shipyard showed up on time.Driver wanted to load the shear over the fith wheel,we did and it didn't work,listed to much.So we had the guys re-rig and set it all the way back over the trailer axles(were it's supposed to ride)The crane crew could not have been anymore helpful,real pro's.

Okay,the 45ton hydro-crane load cell said 33,751lbs,little heavy,but hey.

Got it back to the shop,here is where it went bad.My boss(engineer) says I think the crane will lift it with 60' of stick on at 90%.I said I DON'T think so.He didn't think I needed to put 3x3' 1-1/4" steel pads under the out riggers last year when I parked the crane in its current locale.He thought the lift would go okay.

I rigged the shear,1-1/4" slings,at a 60* angle,righteous hook and rigging,dead nuts over the CG.I cranked the crane,warmed the engine up,gave the all clear and started up.It came up,about 6",then the left rear outrigger punched through the dunnage and the asphalt,it started over.
    First thing I did was stomp the brake and latched it,boom angled too far and the boom hoist started to slip,stomped it,and latched it,it started to spin the load,highside grounded out on the trailer deck and the rear swung out over the side of the trailer,I threw the swing brake loose and caught it,then relatched,thank God right next to the trailer was a loaded sea container which stopped the shear from continuing over the side.All this in 2 seconds.

So the shear is half way on the truck,leaning over against the container,the crane out rigger is sunk in about 4" with the opposite corner of the rig 2' off the ground.All came to a stop,nobody killed or injured.
    So we blocked the end of the shear up thats off the side of the truck and called a crane company,they are sending an 50ton hydro tommorrow.
    So,botton line,I would have made the lift if the plates had been under the out riggers,and would have made it easy if the boom had been shortened by one 20' section,like I wanted to do in the first place,Engineers,gotta love'm.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I think that's why at the company I work for we are not allowed to touch any rigging from a crane company we contract with. If the load is dropped, it was not our fault. I think this is especially important when we use helicopters!

James

Comment

I don't do anything like what you do, WS, but I know what you mean about telling someone that 'you gotta do this first before that' kind of thing. Mostly, if it's something that won't cause damage or cost to me, I let them go ahead and do it their way. Then when it doesn't work out, they do it my way.
      It happened to me again just today, fella I was working with was having a bad time with the skilsaw, chipping out the edges of a board. I told him how to do it, he was making a mess, and when he finally did it my way, he said 'oh, that works'. At least that was an admission that there was a better way. Most people just get kind of indignant and mutter something under their breath. 'Course maybe that's just my charming personality
      Hope you get that shear dealt with safely.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Cranes scare me.

At a auction they boomed up all the cranes, then a thunderstorm moved in. Nobody would listen to me when I asked them to boom them down. Deaf ears.

The world is full of them kind. I think some of them (most) get promoted.

David

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
          Cranes scare me.

The world is full of them kind. I think some of them (most) get promoted.

David
          </font>
          Yea, up the ladder until they can't do any harm

Look at it this way weird, the job is now half done!

Comment

The crane operator has the ultimate desision to make a pick or not. Next time a engineer tells you its ok, when you know its not, tell him to jump in the seat!!!

Comment

BTW, take lots of pictures and keep them handy the next time the boss says "just trust me" Might make a good xmas card

Comment

So, just another typical day huh?

Comment

There's the kinds with a mind to safety, then there's the others. Reminds me of a friend of mine. He works with heavy stuff all the time so I asked his advice and ideas for jacking my house up. I wanted to raise it a couple feet to make the basement usable, then build a knee wall underneath and set the house back down. He told me I could just use a bunch of jack posts. According to him that would work just fine - no need to use cross supports or worry. After all, it would only be sitting on the posts for a couple days. I know better and I can't believe he thought that would work. I think a 5MPH breeze would catch all that surface area, tip all those toothpicks to one side, and place 1/2 the house into the basement for me. I told him I'd let him try that idea on his own place first. He tried to talk me into it for over an hour, but finally found something else to talk about when I asked him to give me $50K to hold until the job was finished in case his idea didn't work. So far it sits as originally built.

I still can't believe he thought I'd still have a house after trying that.

Comment

YIKES!!

Comment

[quote}At a auction they boomed up all the cranes, then a thunderstorm moved in. Nobody would listen to me when I asked them to boom them down. Deaf ears.[/quote]

Hmmmm...you'd best not own a sailboat then

Comment

oh lord, i'll say a pray for you all and hope it all goes good from here on out.

post a picture for us all

Comment

When it comes to cranes, I think this website says it all.
                          THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Excellent site,I think I'll take a picture of the sunk out rigger and post it under the title "Whats missing in this picture?"
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Most people are naive. Don't look around for that hawk circling overhead. (run rabbit run)

That is why the funeral homes get full sometimes, People choose the wrong person to follow. And they don't go alone, usually just send others.

I have been on about two dozen jobs where the foreman gets blue in the face hollering at the poor crane driver telling him to do something that he knowes better. THEN THE CRAP hits the fan and who takes the blame? The poor guy in the seat. The foreman shuffles off and hides till the storm is over.

I love sailboats, Different animal there. Not steel sticking 125' way up there. The first job of a crane driver should be to see that a proper ground clamp is on his rig somewhere. I see them draw sparks everytime I hook them up to a grounded bus. That is a pretty big antennae you got there BUG. And a pretty large capacitor till you hook up. A lot more so than a sailboat. NEVER PEE ON THE WHEEL before you hook the clamp up.. (hungover surprise)

ONE THING from experience, when you move something use a tag line. A rope will not conduct electricity nearly as well as your hands do. Lost some union people in The Coal fired plant in Alabama like that. And Like Wierd said "When things move fast, move faster".

One thing to remember, A crane operators first priority is to save the crane. Even if you are under the shifting load. Something I think about when I see one come onto the job. And taking a hammer with you to talk to the "ironworkers" guiding the loads over your head. (they get mad cause some electricians guide thier own electrical loads and take "thier" jobs and like to break noses)

I saw 5 crane accidents at Sequoah Nuclear plant before they "told" me to go under the load. All of the ones I saw were because someone "told" them to do something wrong. WEll meaning foremen kill people out of stupidity.

I got into a man-basket, went up about forty feet and stopped, the crane operator shook a bottle of jack daniels at me. Then he set me into a blind spot within six inches of the motor connections I had to dissconnect.
                              Not my first job. But you could not have drove a finishing nail up my yazoo with a sledgehammer.

I still got all my fingers.

David
                              (looking overhead for a hawk)
                              I feel for you Wierd.

Comment

Working...
                              X