OT but good news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT but good news

Scott Peterson was sentenced to death. There is justice after all.

------------------
    Paul G.
    Paul G.

I know one guy ticked off about the verdict. Not that he got death but they pre-empted Jeapordy for it. I figure the defense went to too many witnesses in the penalty phase. Just the mother might of been enough. Of course with the appeal process it will take ten years even if he ever is executed
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

The appeal process is reported to take 27 years, so why bother with the death penalty?

------------------
      Neil Peters

[This message has been edited by NAMPeters (edited 12-13-2004).]
      Neil Peters

When on the hunt, a broken part is better than no part at all.

Comment

I heared on a radio show several weeks ago that if you were to add up all of the individual 1-2 minute media stories about this case (times 1000 TV stations), and the 3 or 4 - 1 hour cable segments each week about this case, and calculated how many hours of public broadcast were dedicated to it, you end up with almost 100,000 hrs of broadcast time. Thats sick.

Sigh,
        Kevin

Comment

Yes it is sick.Welcome to the world of media fodder.Those annoying stories that won't go away.
          Don't worry though,Michael Jackson's pervert trial will soon begin,we will have round the clock media coverage for that one,I am positive.
          I swear,its like Scott Petterson was the only guy in history to murder his wife.I feel sorry for her and her family,but is it worthy of non-stop 24/7 news coverage?
          Like I said awhile back,it doesn't matter if an asteroid hits earth and kills half the population we will have the Scott Peterson trial news first! Rant mode off:
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Theres going to be some sick stuff thats going to come out into public eye with the Michael Jackson case, not like we didnt think he was loony already.

Comment

WAY TOO OFF TOPIC!!!

Comment

No one seems to think about Scots family. I feel sorry for all the heartbreak that he has put his family through.

I am suprised that he got the death penality.
                Charlie
                Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Sentencing someone to death is a serious thing, since there is at least some doubt (however little) whether or not he actually did it, a life term would be more appropriate in this case.

Comment

i believe the criteria for conviction is "beyond a reasonable doubt", not "beyond all doubt". the latter is the reason OJ is still free.

andy b.
                    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

i think the reason he got the death penalty is because his wife was a productive part of society and well liked by anyone she came in contact with. if laci had been a woman of color or unattractive there would never had been the media coverage or outrage from the community that there was.
                      personally i think he should be handcuffed and let laci's mother spend an hour alone with him with a baseball bat...jim
                      ...jim

Comment

This raises the question of how anyone can get a fair trial with the media blasting the news 24/7.Practically everybody reads thepaper,watches tv or surfs the web,can they really find 12 jurors that were living in a cave during all the media coverage?

This also is another reason why the media should not have an opinion.Just the facts please,leave out the speculation.

Maybe we should ask for a constitutional ammendment to ban media coverage of elections and trials until they are over.

Isn't that the way it used to be?Elections before the TV era were over before the paper was read.And cameras were not allowed in court rooms until recent years.That wasn't a bad idea I'm thinking.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I agree, too much media influences people...

He was found guilty, therefore he deserves to die.

brent

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toolmakerjim:
                            i think the reason he got the death penalty is because his wife was a productive part of society and well liked by anyone she came in contact with. if laci had been a woman of color or unattractive there would never had been the media coverage or outrage from the community that there was.
                            personally i think he should be handcuffed and let laci's mother spend an hour alone with him with a baseball bat...jim
                            </font>
                            I would have to chuckle at Jim's last statement here.

But, there was an 8 year old girl of color who was brually murdered in the county that I live in a little over a year ago. A friend of mine prosecuted the case in the next county which is known for "going easy" on muderers. He got death for his punishment. So, I can't agree with the person of color statement. It was a violent act and deserves the ultimate penalty.

And the media needs to get off its ivory tower; so to speak and just do what it is supposed to do and report the facts WITHOUT the spin. The jackson case is going to be another circus, most likely like oj.

Scott may not survive in prison before the sentence is carried out. I've heard that child molesters and child killers get the worst treatment from fellow inmates. (deservedly so IMHO) A good example is Jeffry Dahmer. I don't know where he (Scott) falls in that scheme of things.

Andy Pullen

------------------
                            Clausing 10x24, SBL 14.5x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, B'port
                            Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

Changed my mind.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 12-14-2004).]
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X