My Homebrew Tool Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Homebrew Tool Post

I made up my own version of the QC tool post. I took ideas from several different members here, and got some elsewhere...then added one or two of my own ideas. All components are steel, and made virtually from scratch using my South Bend 9A, and the Grizzly Mill/Drill. This first pic is an overall view of the lathe.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Here is a close up of the tool post...

Comment

Here is the post with a tool holder in place. It is currently positioned for facing...

Comment

These are two different turning style blocks.

Comment

These are the threading, parting, and knurling tools.

Comment

These are two different boring setups...

Comment

The whole setup is very ridgid, and a joy to change tools. Each block has a height adjustment that stays set between changes. I can easily take .030 DOC on steel, and .100 in back gear on steel. It is really unbelievable the difference that it made for me.

Comment

Nice work! Were you using a rocker before?

------------------
                Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
                Techno-Anarchist

Comment

Arbo,

I like it very much…it’s simple and doesn’t seem to require any “special toolsâ€‌ to construct it! You did a great job and made a good design. Matter of fact, why don’t you submit it to the tips section.

- Mike

Comment

NICE Job, boy I can't wait till I get a lathe and start playing around too. All I got are wirefeeders,heliarcs,chop saws,and mobile welding and scarfing setups. Sure will be fun to have some real precision machines eventually.!! Real nice job..weldnfab.........

Comment

Arbo...Nice job! Very simple and sturdy. Got a couple pics of the one I made last winter. Like you say they are a heck of a lot sturdier than the ol' rocker. I only use mine for carbide and for the larger boring bars.

Russ
                      Oh ya...yer lathe is TOOO clean..lol!

[This message has been edited by torker (edited 12-14-2004).]
                      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Good Job! I am still an amature and making my own machine parts not only personalizes the machines, but gives me good practice as well.
                        Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Comment

great job Arbo, looks great. I like the lathe too

Comment

Excellent Job Arbo (and torker).
                            To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Geeez, I haven't had my South Bend set up with a tool post in about 2 months. I'm still flycutting various parts for my mill project. Rough guess, I have fly cut about 1000 to 2000 inches so far. It's getting close to done with that part of the job. I will have to make a tool holder like that. Looks nice and easy.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X