HSS Cutter for Ball Turner? (Photo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS Cutter for Ball Turner? (Photo)

I'm also building a Bedair's ball cuter but think I would like to use a HSS cuter instead of a carbide insert. I have some 5/16" O-1 I could make like photo below and then harden. Would this work. What geometry on cutting edges for Al and brass?

gkman11,

This might be a little easier - buy a HSS insert already made! This way your Ball-Turner can use both, HSS and carbide.

http://www.arwarnerco.com/hssi.htm

Just a thought...

Comment

I think if it was me making it for HSS i would extend the upright and then make a square hole through it so a standard size square piece of HSS could be used. You would hold it in place by a grub screw through from the top.
      Precision takes time.

Comment

GK- Your problem there is that you'd either have to make up a fair supply of "inserts" to have on hand, or be ready to make and harden a new insert every time you have to resharpen.

It would be far easier (if you wanted to go with HSS tools) to either drill a hole and use .200" round tool bits simply held in by a grub screw from the top, or drill and broach square for .250" tool bits.

[b]Mike[/i]- I was wondering about HSS bits in carbide sizes, that's interesting. Odd that they don't have an ordering page or even any sort of list of finished sizes and types available. I assume I'd have to E-mail them for a catalog or price list?

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Doc,

I'm sure there are other places on the 'net that sell them.

Here's another, but I'm sure you can get them cheaper:

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...ProductID=1723

Comment

No need to broach a square hole to use square tooling. I just drill a round hole of the correct size and use a grub screw. It works just fine. Just measure the hypotenuse of the square tooling to find the drill size.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

the trouble your going to have with the inserts is
              the ball turner does not have a progresive feed .......you feed it with a lever ......a bit crude and I'm not sure about this but it may break the carbide inserts.
              All the best...mark

Comment

Mike- Ouch. Seven bucks an insert? That's twice the cost of the same thing in carbide...

Now, I understand that production of the HSS inserts isn't as high a volume as the carbides, but still...

Plus, LMS is basically a low-volume reseller... I'll keep looking. Any other leads?

Doc.
                Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

aboard_epsilon: thanks for the input. Not sure what you mean by "progressive feed". This ball turner is fed by the cross slide. http://bedair.org/Ball/ball4.html

Evan: sounds like a winner to me. I've made a 5/16" round cutter but hard to keep lever laterally I suppose.

How should the tip be shaped?

Comment

see the big handle on it
                    that's what mean......with it, you're using the machine as if you're turning wood not steal
                    When you grab hold of that handle you will have to take very small cuts and brace your elbows up against the machine ..so you can feed it gently into the cut.
                    all the best...mark

ps I'm making one of these Myself, Mine has taper bearing's in it ...I'm looking for a sutable worm drive for it at the moment.

PPS...also if you made it to fit on the lathe with the compound slide removed you can turn bigger balls

i didnt realise that at first ...I made mine to fit were the tool-post go's ..ontop of the compound slide lol...when i realised my mistake ..the first one went into the scrap bin.

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 12-14-2004).]

Comment

Main thing about cutting aluminum and to a lesser degree brass is to use high rake and a sharp edge with good clearance. Zero rake tools don't do a good job on aluminum.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

This is as far as I got with it.
                        these pics were taken three months ago
                        six months after I first started it ..hence the corrosion.....been in the boot of my car which leaks..lol
                        bearings are from a Ford Fiesta......they will be cleaned and greased before it go's back together.

I'm on the look out though for a worm for it ...then I'll finish the bugger.
                        all the best..mark

Comment

Couple of thoughts. I like to keep things simple and i think the suggestion of square HSS tool steel in a round hole with a grub screw would work well. Relativly cheap, grind it up to suit the material. Just need to make sure it ends up at centre hight.

Mark! I have toyed with the idea of a ball cutter with some sort of linkage to the compound slide to control feed. I wonder if anyone has sone this?

John.

Comment

john if you leave the compound slide in place , the only thing you would be turning is half inch diameter balls because of clearence problems...and thats on my 1024.
                            all the best..mark

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aboard_epsilon:
                              john if you leave the compound slide in place , the only thing you would be turning is half inch diameter balls because of clearence problems...and thats on my 1024.
                              all the best..mark
                              </font>
                              No. I mean mount the ball cutter on the cross slide behind the compound, thats what the linkage is for. My lathe is larger so guess have a bit more real estate to play with. I agree there may be issues, was really putting out a query to see if I could get a bit from someone who had done it. I also agree a worm would be the ultimate. Might be a good excuse to have a go at making one. Will be interested in how your's turns out when your finished, Mark.

John.

Comment

Working...
                              X