Used laser parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used laser parts

Next week I have got to go and scrap a laser cutter.
    It's a full sheet machine 6' x 12' sheets with a 2Kw laser. It's 6 years old and still working but this machine cannot be resold, it has to be scrapped, contract clause, but it can be stripped.
    So far it looks as if the servo motors and controller [ Bosch ] have found a home.
    Rails and balls screws will go on ebay.

I have to trash the laser as the company want the 12" thick walled Inconel tube that runs up the middle, apparently this is a costly item.

The laser power supplies, there are two of them, one was a spare. Take in 440v three phase at mucho amps and output something like 30,000 volts at 3 amps.
    There is a vacuum tube in there that cost آ£3,000 a pop.

Not a lot of use for a home shop guy but can anyone think of a use for these or even the very heavy transformers to save them being scrapped.
    Would the State of Kalifornia like to buy a new electric chair ?

I can't store this stuff so it's either got to go to a new home straight away or get melted down.
    Any ideas who to approach?

I have to go look later today to sort out cranes etc so I can get some pictures.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

John

Sounds like those transformers can be used to create the mother of all electric fences.
    Never get burgled again!

Charles

Comment

Charles,

All it takes is a high voltage dc capacitor w/pulse charging system about the size of your hand. Carry enough Killing emf to drop anything in it's tracks quite dead.
      I have thought about building some taser like projectiles to go into my shotgun. "Laser in shell", turned on by chambering, Download the powder, and pulse/timed modules to "keep" the assailant down w/no real harm compared to the "actual shotgun shell". A alternative round to "death" Something that would get me off killing a burglar.
      (I have been stalking one here in my neighborhood, He thinks he is cool whistling to all the dogs and making friends) I got my handcuffs oiled and my pistole loaded.

John: Welcome back.. post some pictures before you take it apart please. I am working on some things here.. A induction furnace could probably be ran off them at higher frequencies.

good god I'd love to have a laser here. WHOO HOO.. turn me loose Margret..

David

Comment

You could e-mail CERN to see if they want them. Or, try the nearest university with a physics lab.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Do not stare into beam with remaining eye

Slightly OT here but, Dave, if you're looking for a non-lethal round, try loading 12G shells with a projectile of hefty hardwood. Call em baton rounds here. Will stop most feral bipeds.

Comment

Went to have a look today. Charged the camera battery ups and got there ....2 minutes left on the battery. Got a few drive shots and that was about it.
            Laser is covered with sheets of material stacked all over so no overall shot.
            That will have to wait until Tuesday next week.

Came to an arangement with the owners, they pay me going rate to strip it and walk it out the door and we go halves on anything sold on the stripped bits.
            Some nice bits.

Here IBEW eat your heart out. This is how we run servos here, no puny Gecko's
            440v three phase in to the drive card at 10 amp per phase.

Just joking mate <g>

Found two brand new spare X axis ball screws still in the wooden Thompson crates.
            One 40mm diameter one, 45mm diameter both with double antibacklash nuts. One 10' long one 12' long, brand new.
            These are about آ£3K each but the bummer is they will be lucky to get آ£300 UKP on ebay.

Best find was a gold blocking mirror, gold mirror on a water cooled copper block adjusted by two Starret 1/2" micrometer adjusting mic's.
            If it's a late one the gold is plated, if it's an early one it's a 1/16" thick sheet.

Gotta strip a mirror down................

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John....

Hang on to that gold,I am in urgent need of some 1/16" shim at the moment.I will call and collect to save you the postage.
              If there's more than I need I'll let my cousin have some.

Allan

Comment

I've been using some old gold colored coins for shims. Ya gotta sand em down a bunch to get them to fit. I think these were Krugerrands but the writin' all sanded off.

Comment

Too big and heavy for my death ray.
                  Non, je ne regrette rien.

Comment

Bugger, it was plated,
                    Oh well another flat battery in the car park of life.

I'll just rip the two 1/2" Starrett micrometer heads off it, fit then to a clamp block and put them on ebay as Myford Micrometer bed stops.
                    Probably worth more than the gold block anyway.

John S.

Comment

Working...
                    X