Pressing old bearing by inner race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing old bearing by inner race?

Is it ok to press an old bearing out (80mm OD) by the inner race or does this cause expansion of the OD?
    Den

Hi Den,
    If when pressing the brearing it is resting on its outer race then pressure is being transfered through the balls or rollers which can do some damage. But if the bearing is being just pressed off of a shaft and the pressure is just pushing on the inner race then it should not hurt anything.
    Chuck

Comment

Hi Again,
      The way I have removed bearings when possible was to use a round plate a little
      smaller than the bearing O.D. and tap the plate with a small bumping bar. I have installed them this way also but they have to be straight and not cocked to go in right.

Comment

Is it possible to heat the housing it's going in?

If it is,it will probably expand enough that the bearing will just slide in,or out.

Allan

[This message has been edited by Allan Waterfall (edited 12-16-2004).]

Comment

It's time to visit the local auto machine shop as a small hydraulic jack and 2x4 only succeeded in making the upper floor of the house creak without moving the #[email protected]%#$ thing a thousandth I'll have them press the new one in but have to make a mandrel first to just catch the outer race only. It's part of my 5C collet closer and I have to be careful not to distort the 1/2" wall thickness steel ring that it's mounted in.

Comment

Probably done the job by now, but I wouldn't press a bearing off by putting pressure through the rolling elements. If it's a light fit you may get away with it. But the risk of one of the races shatering with balls and bits of broken race flying would scare me. Especially with a press. Faced with this job and without the proper pullers to extract the bearing safely I would cut the inner race and remove it and the balls then run a bead of weld around the inside of the outer race. Let it cool down and it should fall out.

John.

Comment

An old trick I've used to remove bearing races from car rotors is to weld a bead all the way around the inside of the outer race after it cools the race usually just falls out or can be lightly tapped out. The heat from welding expands and then shrinks the race. The only way this works is with the relatively localized heat of a mig welder.

------------------
              -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

rsr911, I have done it with a stick welder several times and had no problems. James

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J. Randall:
                  rsr911, I have done it with a stick welder several times and had no problems. James </font>
                  Yes I'm with you James, I have only ever done it with a stick welder. But I guess using a mig you may put less heat into the bearing race and still get the contraction effect of the deposited metal. There by getting the contraction without the initial expansion putting strain on the retaining part. Either way it works remarkably well. Of course as I said in my previous post you need to remove the rest of the bearing first.

John.

Comment

Sorry John, I didn't notice that you suggested a weld in your previous post before posting mine. I've never tried with a stick to be honest, it's just so fast to squirt a little bead in there with a mig. I one tried with OA and it didn't work nearly as well, I had to pound it out.

------------------
                    -Christian D. Sokolowski

Comment

Hi Christian, no worries. Yes it sounds like the mig works well. I'm guessing it is the migs capability to put down a lot more weld metal and introduce the least amount of heat into the parent metal (in this case the outer bearing race) and it's the weld metal contracting that does the most work. The OA welding would be at the other end of the scale, lots of heat into the race compared to the amount of weld metal laid down. I was just pointing out to those who don't have a mig that MMA (stick) welding was a viable alturnative.

I wonder how Den has got on?

John.

Comment

Den hasn't gotten on yet but hopefully this weekend. Christmas is coming FAST though so there may be other priorities

I like the idea of splitting the old outer race to install the new and hopefully will develop welding talents some day

Comment

Its actually the contraction stress of the weld metal that does the job.Thats why the Oxy/act doesn't work so good.

I weld out big bores all the time this way,last one was 680mm od.Once the race cooled,it dropped out,then said Tink! And then fractured into six or seven pieces.

I have also welded a section of pipe into the bore and used it as a slide hammer bar to knock it out.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 12-17-2004).]
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

NEVER remove a ball bearing held in a sleeve by the outer race by forcing the unsupported inner race unless you plan on replacing the bearing altogether.

Here's a trick for removing a bronze bearing in a blind hole.
                            Machine a steel rod two or three thou. under the bearing size, fill the hole halfway up the bearing with oil, put the rod in the hole and pound it out.

Comment

Working...
                            X