Diamond grinding wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diamond grinding wheel

This is sort of a continuation of the other thread about sharpness of cutting edge.

I've been told that diamond grinding wheels are not suitable for HSS (noted in catalogs), but Drill Doctor uses a diamond wheel for sharpening HSS drill bits. I've also seen diamond honing tool used for sharpening knives, so I'm a little confused.

Albert

Diamond is carbon...and when heated, carbon dissolves into steel. Grinding generates a lot of heat, so diamond wheels wear down pretty fast when grinding steel unless you keep them cool somehow. With hand hones, you typically use water on the hone. It serves the dual purpose of floating the grinding dust off the stone and keeping things cool...although with a hand hone, it's clearly not as big a deal as with a power wheel.
    I heard the Drill Doctor was coming out with a CBN wheel...or I may be imagining that. Anyway, a diamond wheel certianly works, with or without coolant, but it will last longer with coolant.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Albert
      Two reasons why diamond is not the best choice for HSS.

The high heat of grinding accelerates a physical chemical reaction where the carbon content is leached from the Diamond causing a major change in the carbon content and the steel properties. Even with water cooling this reaction takes place.

Chemical interaction happens between the workpiece and cutting tool regardless of the materials involved. This happens even with carbide tools (under cutting conditions) although coatings such as Aluminum Oxide over the TiN more or less prevent this from happening with modern inserts.

The second problem is the Diamond actually fracturing (micro fractures) the cutting edge causing premature failure. This has been long known especially by woodworkers using fine laminated steel chisels. The proper stones for these and Samurai swords were the Japanese water stones. Use of these stones give cutting edges far superior to any western abrasives - and you get the edge faster too!

CBN is the best choice for steels as long as they are at least 36-40 on the Rockwell "C" scale - otherwise the CBN experiences premature wear. The harder the steel, the better and longer the CBN cuts. It is not understood why CBN acts this way.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 05-24-2002).]

Comment

What is CBN?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Peter S:
          What is CBN?</font>
          Crushed Bulls Nackers

Sorry, couldn't resist

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Cubic boron nitrate, I think.... Somethin' like that, anyway. You'll see the wheels listed in catalogs.

----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I thought it was that weird christian tv network that Pat Robertson runs.

Comment

Cubic Boron Nitride is CBN.

Comment

[This message has been edited by Koloya (edited 12-18-2004).]
                  Vain,Vain,I really feel my decay;
                  Seeing the world left behind;
                  Hiding in the crowd,
                  Without any item.

Comment

Working...
                  X