keeping grinding wheels clean & true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping grinding wheels clean & true

in the HOME shop! How does one "true" and "deglaze" wheels on a a cheap 6 in. bench grinder; lousy rests, no coolant, etc.

Super-experienced, super-equipped, production guys need not reply ;-)
    unless they feel an irrestible impulse controlling them.

I just use one of those 'star' dressing wheels. Awfully messy job tho.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I just use one of those 'star' dressing wheels. Awfully messy job tho.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I use silicon carbide "green wheels." Although they aren't designed for general use, I find they work pretty well. Because they break down fairly rapidly, I never have a glazing problem. The fast rate of wear might be a problem in a commercial shop, but it's not for me.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Hm. I'm forbidden to reply. Oh well.

Comment

Now look what you did rmatel. You scared away one of the guys who p'bly really knows what he's talking about.

Whilst on the subject of grinding wheels: I replaced the wheels on my craftsman 6" grinder some time back. Put a green wheel on one end, and a tan wheel on t'other. Evidently there was some old blotter paper residue left on the flange washers on the tan end, because it now has a wobble. I've thought about cleaning that up, but seem to recall reading somewhere that is actually good, in that it helps even the wheel wear and cuts better. All comments welcome (even from the more experienced)
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

The star wheels work okay. Or you can get a single point diamond tool pretty cheap at Travers etc. The diamond trues better but the star-dressed wheel will probably cut faster in my experience.

You'll need to use plenty of pressure with the star wheel to break the bond of the grinding wheel.

Comment

I'm with Starman. A diamond is pretty cheap. A quick pass or two across the face and you're into fresh wheel. Letting them glaze over is false economy. I lost a diamond once, came out of the end of the tool, but I've never worn one out. Still on my second diamond dresser, and been putzing now for over 30 yrs.
                I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

Hmm. nope. No irrestable urge here - except for chocolate milk in glass bottles.

Comment

Diamond dresser with a drill stop locked on the shank to ride against the edge of the rest so the wheel face will be parallel to the rests edge.

Not sure if I'm allowed to reply, but if not then buy a new grinder

Comment

Thrud: You like to talk about chocolate milk in glass bottles so much I have to ask:
                      Can you get them where you live?
                      gvasale

Comment

gvasale:
                        No. As one who would rather put my milk where my mouth is - the last half decent chocolate milk I had was in Utah. Such fond memories...

Comment

Geeze Thrud. Don't get me started.

I found a great doughnut place here in town. The raised doughnuts are to die for; full of flavor not too sweet. If you ask nice they'll make you a hot fudge milk shake with a raw egg in it.

Nothing finer than a couple of apple filled gut bombs and a hot fudge shake before you go out to slay the dragon. A three hour fight with a middling dragon is about what it takes to burn up all those calories and grease.

Comment

Forrest & Thrud,
                            I knew there were "irrestible impluses" hidden in your closets ;-)

[This message has been edited by rmatel (edited 01-12-2003).]

Comment

Hey thrud,

Thanks for the "Utah" plug...we don't get much publicity around here...except for our multiple wives....

Brent

Comment

Working...
                              X