• Show
Clear All

• Koloya
    replied

[This message has been edited by Koloya (edited 12-18-2004).]

Leave a comment:

• rohart
    replied
    I agree with yf. Put a stop collar on the shank of a single diamond dresser. Then roll the shank along the rest. I was told by an abrasives guy that its just like turning. The finer the feed, the smoother the finish.

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Bob
    If you have to grind aluminum use SiC the wheels will not load as bad (unless you go nuts) - appropriate grit choice makes a big difference. Aluminum Oxide should only be used for steels. SiC is for non-ferrous metals (in general) such as carbide.

Leave a comment:

• gordo
    replied
    Maybe the wheel you are using is too hard and does not fracture enough to keep clean. I use a diamond to true the sides and the face of the wheels. Try a softer wheel see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• metal mite
    replied
    rmartel,
    Those brazed tools, when made right should only have a couple thou of brass.
    When we used to braze them at work, a brass spacer (.010 or so)was silver soldered between the carbide and shank to act as a shock and heat insulator.
    That shouldn't load your wheel.
    Grind the steel shank and brass as best you can with a regular steel wheel, and only the carbide on a green wheel.
    Someone has dressing sticks, or use a broken grinding wheel to clean and smooth your wheel.
    M.S.C used to sell a diamond with a screwdriver handle for chores like this too.
    I've used mine for years.
    cheers!

Leave a comment:

• ShavingMaker
    replied
    I try to use light grinding pressure in the first place, but I find that once a grinding wheel is gouged out of square the easiest thing is to lower my grinding standards! Or use "corrective" grinding by using the areas of the wheel that need wearing down more. Or get a new wheel. Am I lazy, or what?

Leave a comment:

• rmatel
    replied
    metal mite,
    Funny you should mention brass. I started this thread when I got into trouble restoring a chipped carbide cutter that was brazed on. I had to grind off 1/16" and ran into the brazing. Of course the brazing clogged the wheel! I then filed away all non-carbide but by then the wheel was #[email protected]@#ed.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• metal mite
    replied
    rmartel,
    The answer is don't grind aluminum, brass, zink, or other non ferris metals on your grinder.
    Learn the proper wheels to use on what materials.
    But by then you'll be one of those super experienced, and equipped guys and won't be able to answer your oan question.
    mite

Leave a comment:

• Forrest Addy
    replied
    Too bad there isn't a way to transport Alaskan oil by Alaskan mosquitoes. There's sure enough capacity.

I was in Juneau when I was chomped by a white footed fly. Hurt like hell. I think they're the kind that lay an egg in their living victims where it grows and nourishes itself on your flesh and after a time emerges as an adult fly to join its fellows to torment other victims with implanted eggs, telemarketing, and street corner religeous pamphlets.

Leave a comment:

• docsteve66
    replied
    Thrud, Bud- the crickets in Mississippi and Trantulas (big spider that cant spell no better than I ) in Texas have both made the roads so slick that I near slipped off on a straight section of road.

But worst bug is mosquito, canadian, Texas- any place along the gulf of mexico coast. Even Arizona

Worse than politicains
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Brent
    An entomologist in Calgary told me that you guys have these green "katydyds"(?) that get so bad that the highway department has to send snowplows out to scrape the squished little buggers off the roads.

The mere thought gives me the heebie-geebies, I hate bugs - they always taste terrible when I eat them.

Leave a comment:

• kap pullen
    replied
    Guess I'm out of the loop on this topic.
    kap

Leave a comment:

• bspooh
    replied
    Thrud, Weird bugs??? I don't follow....

All our bugs are nice and friendly...I had a pet frog named "lucky" once..poor guy hopped in front of a moving moped...he wasn't very lucky any more....

Brent

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Brent
    I truly enjoyed the milk, the food, and the quality of people. I would not mind living there at all - although the prospect of weird bugs does not thrill me. I never thought to try root beer - we kept trying to get a descent coca-cola but they all tasted like bad pepsi...

Leave a comment:

• Oso
    replied
    And good root beer. Too bad I don't like it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X