• Koloya
    replied

[This message has been edited by Koloya (edited 12-18-2004).]

Leave a comment:

• J Thornton
    replied
    Kurt
    Why not contact Norton (usual disclaimers) directly :
    "For additional information on this topic or any other grinding wheel safety information, please review ANSI, OSHA and literature provided by the grinding wheel and machine manufacturer. You may also contact the Saint Gobain Product Safety Department at Tel. (508) 795-2690 or Fax. (508) 795-5120 for additional product safety information."
    Or their web site is
    http://www.nortonabrasives.com/indus...me/default.asp

------------------
    Jesse

Leave a comment:

• Ironland Spline
    replied
    Kurt,

When I think of the "white" aluminum oxide wheels, I think of the 38A wheels. They're great for die steels (D-2).

But the wheel you are referring to, the 32A60-KVBE is my best choice for the High Speed Steels. I do alot of form grinding, and I use the 32A60-KVBE more than anything, because performs well at alot of different wheel diameters, and I can achieve great surface finishes with fine slow dressing motions. And they are half or more the price of the ceramic "Seeded Gel" (5SG and 3SG) wheels.

When I want to get the stock off it works well too for it is rated for medium to heavy stock removal, and with a fast rip of the diamond it will rough down the material quickly.

I use a Baldor pedestal grinder for drill sharpening. On one side I have the wheel you're considering: the 32A60-KVBE. But I like to get a real keen edge on the smaller drills that I often sharpen, so the wheel on the other side is a 32A100-IVBE. They are 1.5" thick with recessed bores so that I can use the side as you described you want to. I wouldn't think of using any other combination now for sharpening up to 1" HSS drill bits. I rough on the 60K and then just clean the ink off with the 100I.

Howard

Leave a comment:

• Mike W
    replied
    I just bought a 6" cup wheel for my HF tool grinder. This one won't work because it has a 1 1/4 hole and mounts with 4 screws. I have a 6 by 1 cup wheel that I use with the General Tool drill sharpener. I believe MSC has those. I use it on a belt driven mandrel. I like it because it stops fast compared to a regular grinder that keeps on spining.

Leave a comment:

• Daubie
    started a topic What Grinding Wheel to Use?

What Grinding Wheel to Use?

Hi,
    -
    I've got a Sears "Drill Bit Grinding Attachment" Model No. 351.252920 I want to setup and use. I purchased it last fall. It is similar to the U.S.General No.825, probably made by them with the SEARS logo added. I saw the Jan./Feb. 2003 article, page 41 in HSM but it doesn't specify the wheel.
    -
    I used one of these units years ago in a tool room I was working in and with very good results. It was used on the side of the wheel not on the periphery set on a pedestal grinder. We freehand rough ground the drills first, then used this little fixture to get balanced cutting edges. I don't care to blow up and disintergrate a wheel. Does anybody here know what wheel to use?
    -
    Sears' 2002-2003 catalog designates Catalog Number 64536 as their wheel to get (a 60 grit, 6" dia. x 1" thick wheel) but that wheel is no longer available via their catalog or to Sears.com as neither is the fixture.
    -
    I'm considering this wheel:
    ======================
    NORTON: 60 grit white aluminum oxide: 32A60K5VBE (1/2 inch minimum
    thickness) for high speed cutters. ======================
    I worked as a general machinist in a couple different tool and die shops and I got mucho big time experience working with surface and OD / ID grinders, and form grinding within tight tolerances. Our sales rep was a DO-ALL guy, all our stuff we got from him. We used NORTON wheels. But that was a while ago and I have forgotten much of the particulars.
    -
    As well, I am also losing my close vision and why, I too, want to rig up a fixture to fine tune my rough freehand grinds. Yes, I do use binocular magnifiers with my Progressive tri-focal eyeglasses in OSHA approved saftey eyeglasses and a faceshield.
    ================================
    REMEMEBER: BLIND IS FOREVER!!
    ================================
    Anyway, some stuff for you as references I have found:
    ======================
    Drill Grinder
    http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/dr...ill-grind.html Changed:8:32 AM on Tuesday, October 1, 2002
    ===========
    The following is down page a little ways:
    ===========
    Drill Grinding Attachment
    http://www.igs.net/~wyliecoyote/projects.htm Changed:11:32 AM on Wednesday, March 10, 2004
    ===========
    The TINKER tool & cutter griding jig:
    ===========
    Lautard.Com - THE TINKER TOOL AND CUTTER GRINDING JIG http://lautard.com/tinker-s.htm Changed:4:34 PM on Monday, March 8, 2004
    ===========
    <><><><><><>&l t;><><><><><>
    Looks like Drill Doctorآ® took over SEARS' previous line.
    -
    Thanks in advance.
    -
    Kurt
    {:{

Working...
X