No announcement yet.

balancing a grinding wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A blacksmiths 2 cents worth, I have one large pedestal grinder that I change wheels on often. when new the wheels are 14 in diameter and 2 inches wide. I use different grits for different things. the lead liner in the wheels gets scraped and worn a little and the wheels will run out of round after many changes. The first thing I do with a new wheel is give it a ring test. the second thing I do is take a felt tip marker and make a mark from the center out on the paper tag at the center. all my wheels have this mark. When I put any wheel back on this mark is straight up. They will go for many changes without dressing and be in balance. the third thing I do with a new wheel is start the grinder and let it run for at least a half hour and usually more when no one is around. if it's going to fly apart it will do it in this time. The worst injury I ever got from a grinder was using someone elses grinder that had all the guards on it and correctly set up. when the wheel came apart the only avenue of escape for the pieces was thru the opening left by the guards and it was like getting hit in the chest with a machine gun on full automatic.
    In my type of work if you have all the safety stuff on it you just don't use it because you can't get to it to use.

Just my observations.

irnsrgn
    Necessity is the mother of Invention

Comment

Simple dressing does not always balance a wheel. I have to dress then balance and then install on machine spindle. I use Norton wheels and I can assure you they are not "cheap". I do not think drilling a grinding wheel is a good idea but simple dressing is not always the solution to an out of balance wheel. You can have a wheel which is only a few inch ounces out of balance but try to hold .0001 and see how much effect it has on you set up.

Comment

One thing the artical on balancing a grinding wheel is that it brought created a lot of comment for and aginest drilling a hole in a grinding wheel. Now it is up to you to do as you see fit. The inexperinced people have some information that they probably would not have had other wise.

Personaly I would not change the wheel in any way except for dressing it.
        Charlie.
        Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
        http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

C Tate,
          Although I accept what you say you are talking precision grinders here.
          The article was about bench grinders which are a different kettle of fish as even the best made ones don't have any provision for balancing.
          This in itself should tell you that it's not nessesary and if you have one that's so far out as to cause problems then it's either the wheel washers or the wheels fault.
          No one works to tenths on a bench grinder unless it tenths of an inch.

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 05-26-2004).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I buy good wheels, dress them and use them on my surface grinder. As far as the bench grinders, so long as it doesn't walk away with the pedistal, I use what came on the grinder.

Comment

I thought the article interesting but I have never needed to go this far in obtaining good results with my bench grinders. The first thing I do is throw away the damned plastic spacers that are supplied and turn one made of aluminum to fit the arbor and the the wheel. I then dress the wheel with a diamond dresser in a jig that I've made for this purpose. Mebby I'm just lucky but this has always worked for me. I'm glad to know this new trick tho for you never know when it will come in handy. One thing I've learned from these good magazines and the fine members of this forum is that there are many ways to skin the cat!! Regards, Joe

Comment

It seems that some people here have missed the point. The reason for not drilling a hole in the wheel in not primarily because that may weaken the wheel although it probably will. The reason is that IF THE WHEEL IS THAT FAR OUT OF BALANCE IT IS DEFECTIVE. It may ring true but still have a density defect, a void or an inclusion of foreign matter. The point is that the wheel is dangerous and balancing it will not make it safe. You may not know that quality vitrified precision grinding wheels are still hand made and mistakes can happen.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I do not get the magazine any longer. I did not know what type of grinding wheel we were talking about. I do know that an out of balance condition does not always indicate a wheel is bad. I do agree that trying to drill a hole in a grinding wheel is not a good idea it would take longer to balance in this manner than the wheel is worth.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by C. Tate:
                    I do know that an out of balance condition does not always indicate a wheel is bad. </font>
                    If it takes a slug of lead a half inch diameter and 3/8 long at about 1/3 radius to balance it, its waaaaay off in my thinking.

CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

O.K. you win throw the wheel away.

Comment

[This message has been edited by Koloya (edited 12-18-2004).]
                        Vain,Vain,I really feel my decay;
                        Seeing the world left behind;
                        Hiding in the crowd,
                        Without any item.

Comment

Working...
                        X