Technicolour Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technicolour Tools

Someone here offshore recently ordered cobalt drillbits from Westwood - these turned up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...t/Drillbit.jpg

Pretty, eh?

Haven't tried them yet - I'll need to find my sunglasses! Amazing what the Chinese are coming out with now.

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

I have seen them in the local Canadian Tire Store. I'll be interested to hear what you think of them once you give them a try.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

That is a pretty drill! I like the look of Titanium nitride coatings. I have a pocket knife that is entirely coated with it. Very cool looking and very durable.

Let us know how well it lasts!

Comment

I'll nip down to the workshop and give them a try, and I'll let you know how they work.

What's all this about grinding wheels - I look this morning, and there are about 16 new posts on them. Did I miss something?

And in case the drills go blunt, do any members of the group know where I can buy a nice grinding wheel to sharpen Chinese drills :-) ?

Ian

Comment

Right - I just had a go with the pretty looking drills - I drilled 100 3/8" holes through a lump of 1" square key steel, as hard and as fast as I could. Not sure what the spindle speed was, but it was about twice what I'd normally use. The chips were flying out well past blue, and I wasn't using any kind of coolant or lube.

The drill had no trouble - it still feels as sharp as a new one from the same packet (once it cooled off...) - it hasn't even lost its nice colouring.

I have no idea how much cobalt is in the drills (it may be like the 'half chicken, half horsemeat' sausages - 1/2 a chicken & 1/2 a horse go into the mincer). However, as far as I'm concerned, they work just fine.

Ian

Comment

Working...
          X