• 25 ton tip toe pics!

Okay here is the proof -

Notice anything missing?

Daylight on the light side-

View from the front-

And finally,Thank God for sea containers!-

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 12-14-2004).]
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I guess that "engineer" never thought to off-hand calculate the load on that outrigger in psi, and think about the capacity of that soil?

That just "looks" wrong size-wise without knowing that it didn't work.

I hope that's a proper socket/shackle I see in the one pendant.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Yes it is a proper setup on the pendant,made sure of that.

Boss has a PE,but has no concept of things like load radius,boom angle,turntable level or load scales.Me I know,I have been around it long enough to know what is needed.Its really simple,over kill!Sure I could have rigged it with two 7/8 chokers,but I had the pendants and clevises,little or no chance of them breaking.

I wanted to take a boom section out and pad the out riggers,he said no,we don't need it.I wanted to center the trailer and shear on the crane,straight lift,balanced load on both out riggers,he said it didn't need it.

Okay,I made everyone clear the area before I attempted the lift.It started up,cleared 6" off the deck,then the out rigger punched the pavement,decreased the boom angle 6* and started to go over.The boom hoist lost friction and started to backgear.I locked it and the hoist off in one motion,the load continued over,front end of the shear bottomed out on the trailer and swung the end out which hit and shoved the container about six inches and stopped.Finally all settled out and stabilized.I locked it down and shut the engine off.Stepped out on the step and yelled at the top of my lungs "CALL THE F---KING CRANE COMPANY!Then rounded up a crew to block the load,I'm now running the show,put one man on the light side with a tape from the ground to a fixed point on the crane with instructions to yell if he saw movement.Another man bgrabbing jacks,blocks and chains and me under the load blocking,all went well.

I showed up this morning,boss was out there,"oh" he says"all we need to do is jack an block the trailer,then we can cut the load loose from the crane and re-rig"Thats when I let him have it,I said no,not no but HELL no!I told him we are waiting on the crane company period.

They came in and we rigged a seperate line to the shear,took load off our rig,we unhooked and swung out of the way.They brought a 50ton hydro,it had all it wanted picking that shear on a 25' radius,I think the load cell at the shipyard was waaayy off.

Operator here said no,its more like 48,000lbs.They set it on the ground on bocks and the rest is history.

Now I will cut 3x3' 1-1/4" thick plates for each out rigger,level the crane turntable,remove a boom section and then I can lift one end at a time and bolt some H-beam blocks under each pad on the shear. After that I can walk it into place one end at a time.

Comment

Glad to see that the load is on the ground and all is safe for now. Hope that you can walk in into position. The shorter boom and bigger pads for the outriggers will definately help. Good luck.

Joe

Comment

Sure glad you have to move it I don't - not that I would not help if I could.

Santa never brought me a Humungous shear to play with - lucky dog!

Comment

Pictures scared the heck out of me !!!!
            How was the laundry situation around there ?
            Goes to show you that practical experience is better than book learning.
            Wish I had more of both.

Don't have that much lifting capability around here, even so when we lift.
            I run the show or I go.

Ross
            GUNS Don't kill people
            Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

Here is one cool pick that we did a couple years ago. I have picked a lot of different stuff over the years but this was the coolest by far.

Comment

OK, let's have the story on the plane......

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

It's the last Boeing "Stratoliner" in existance, restored to perfection by retired Boeing employees and owned by the Smithsonian (restored to Pan-Am).

They had been taking off and landing repeatedly when all of the sudden they had catosrophic engine failure and the pilot had to ditch it in the bay. We took our crane over the next day and picked it out, it's amazing how fast that salt water electrolosis eats away at the magnesium and aluminum.

The NTSB/FAA said they had to do an investigation to see why the engines failed, but it was obvios to us, the engines had suddenly sped up before dying and the fuel tanks had nothing in them but water...... hmmm.

The plane has been restored again and is now at the Smithsonians flight museum.

More pictures of the recovery here: http://www.aviationpics.de/mish/307/page_01.htm

Comment

Ok, it looked like 4 engines, the big tail and "blimp body" looked right, and your profile reads "Seattle".

But I wasn't aware there were any left, nor that any would have been in the water up there. I think they only made a dozen or two before converting over to warplanes.

I'll have to follow the link.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

From what I have read Boeing made quite a few Strato-liners,there is even one in Florida a guy converted to a house boat.

Me I like the Guypie converts,especially the turbo-prop super guypie.

No luandry problems here I have been in worse situations,so I kept my head and my lunch

Okay,Dave,when I fire it up I send you a pic of the first chomp

Comment

Weird what a disaster to happen. We had some contractors working on a flume changing one of the stringers. The did not have a tag line on the stringer when they removed the stringer. The stringer started to spin. The end of the stringer swung into a 69KV power line. The electricty went up the line and out through the front tire of the crane. It blew off a piece of the tire about the size of your hand. The tire did not go flat. The operator jumped off the crane,:eek he was lucky that he did not step off. Of course the breakers at both ends of the line had operated by that time.
                        Charlie
                        Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Weird,
                          Is that a P(oor) & H(ungry)
                          Used to run 25 ton Hydrilic that had the same out riggers

------------------
                          George
                          Remember the early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.
                          George from Conyers Ga.
                          Remember
                          The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

You mean a P&H Harnessfagger ,no she's and old Lorraine Speeder truck crane,good machine in it's day(1965)but it is old,but not tired though.Nasa had it,idiots bent the base section of the boom,they moved a load with the boom laying on the rack,idiots.

I need to spend about 60 or so hours doing maintenance and repairs on it,then it will be ready again.The frictions need water treating and the outrigger pump needs rebuilding.That and the power down loading needs fixing.

Comment

Hey Jimmy, Is that West Seattle? I thought it ditched closer to downtown. Or was it raised and moved at the time the picture was taken?

Dave in Madrona

Comment

Working...
                              X