Steam power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam power

I am about to design a steam engine for use as a generator. I know there are a few of you out there that really know what you are talking about when it comes to steam. I am new to it, a young guy. It is very interesting to me because you need heat to make it work. Heat can come from anything and future technology make make it very frendly to make heat from hydrogen or some other technology.

Okay here are my questions;

What is a typical presure that they run on? Do most engines use a set "intake dwell time" or is there a reliable way to very this dwell with load?

intake dwell time? Most hobby boilers are around 120 psi or less. They are built usualy with a safety factor of atleast 6.
    Most steam engines have variable cut off that is done with the valve gear to conserve steam. Kinda like a gearbox.

Comment

I guess cutoff is what I mean when I say dwell. I am a gas engine guy that is why I use that term. I would like to keep the valving simple. If I can't, I will make it electronic control, but I don't want to do that for reliability concerns.

Comment

Here, download these programs, you can visualize how its all done, some very simple ones to more complex ones.
        Now if your going to run a generator, maybe a steam turbine would be easier for you.
        http://www.tcsn.net/charlied/
        You can adjust the valve timing, and the dimensions, and see how it affects the gear.

Comment

That is what I want to use it for. I just don't think I could build a turbine without some very good tools and equipment. I don't even know where to begin to make a turbine blade.

Comment

You may want to take a look at a Tesla Turbine. There are some folks who are trying to make them for electrical generation,I have lost the web site, but a quick search should turn it up.

The turbine blades are simply discs, with holes bored in strategic places for exhaust.
            Though not widely used this seems to be a technology that could be adapted to small scale use.
            rollin'

Comment

I would recomend going to Mike Brown's website on home scale steam power . Many tapes and books in simple terms for common folk.

Comment

Hmmm.. Sterling engines come to mind.

http://members.aol.com/bkammerich/stirleengl.htm
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Triple expansion steam engines are most economical for steam consumption versus output power.

That was the final word in BOAT engines, the last real development in steam in the last 200 years. THEY are heavy.

There is raw castings, finished engines available. I have a link if you are shopping.

David

Comment

http://www.pioneer.net/~carlich/RSE/RSEhome.html

Link to thier page. Never done business with them, nice looking site thou.

I was looking into the design and similar concept using industrial Waste heat to run a steam engine. Not enough or regular enough pressure to run a turbine? you need a piston engine. Turbines require a narrow band of pressure and flow to operate efficiently.

David

Comment

www.tinypower.com has casting kits for a number of engines that will power a home generator.

Jim H.

Comment

Steam I like,uses BOTH sides of the piston,no wasted motion,plus they will run nearly forever.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Here is a site that you might want to look at.
                          http://www.pcez.com/~artemis/NWSSindex.htm
                          Charlie
                          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

CHarlie.. what kind of trickery is this? I went to click on "enter" and steam blowes out.

Since I got a hand for a mouse pointer I donna wanna stick my hand into the steam.

Ha.. ya got a chain to pull? I had to pull the pizza man outa the ditch tonight to retrieve our supper. What a night.

David (neat site)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:
                              Not enough or regular enough pressure to run a turbine? you need a piston engine. Turbines require a narrow band of pressure and flow to operate efficiently.
                              David
                              </font>
                              Not so.

Turbines were regularly used to extract the energy from the difference in pressure between reciprocating engines exhaust pressure, and the condenser back pressure. That could have been quite low, and still extract significant power if the volume was there.

That kind of turbine requires volume flow, reasonably steady conditions, and yes it is different from the HP turbine. But a low pressure does NOT mean no turbine, in fact a turbine will work on pressure diffrences that a reciprocating engine will not.

Power generation is a perfect application, since rotational speed is set.

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X