Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reed
    replied
    I like your workbench. Given I revamp my Playpen, your ideas will be on my mind.

I also realized that I've prolly include the BXA rack in the URL:
    <http://photobucket.com/albums/v600/r...oard-s.jpg>

- Reed
    Raleigh, NC

Leave a comment:

• Michael Az
    replied
    Thanks Boomer and RPease. The plastic is 3/4 and you got it right 24" long. I got both peices on ebay for $15.00, so I thought it was pretty cheap that way. They were cut square so I used them as they came and built the drawers around them.
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• RPease
    replied
    Super nice tool bench Michael. Did that UHMW cost you much?? I thought about doing something like that. I've been scrounging some small pieces from our scrap bin, but haven't tried Ebay yet. I tried buying it from our suppliers and "our cost" is about $ .15 per cubic inch in 3/4" flat stock.

I'm guessing that for the sizes (what.....maybe 24" wide x 15" deep?) you used (if you payed what I would have to) those liners would cost about $50 each. I think I'll have to stick to folded shop towels.......

Best regards.......Rodg

Leave a comment:

• Steve Stube
    replied
    wierdscience, Thanks, at least I'm doing something right - I'm in 100% compliance.

Leave a comment:

• Boomer
    replied
    Looks very good, you must have a surplus of "round tuits". Can you spare a couple?
    Bruce

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Forget the workbench, you have some nice tooling as well.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Az
    replied
    Thanks again for the comments fellows and Alistar the plastic is UHMW that I got from ebay. Machines very nice and has some good properties like not staining, resists breaking and a bunch of other. Here are a couple close ups so you can see better.
    http://myweb.cableone.net/michaelaz/drawer1.jpg
    http://myweb.cableone.net/michaelaz/drawer2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• weldnfab
    replied
    Wow, Vvveeeerrrryyyyyyy Nice Bench, a man after my own heart, every thing on casters, you bet, I like it.!!!! WeldnFab.
    Merry Christmas and a rolling New Year..

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Okay,thats a real nice bench,now you have 2 days to get more crap on it or you will be in violation of machinist code 39226 section 15 subchapter 12 sections 11-13.
    39226-
    12.11-"All flat surfaces in a shop shall be covered by no less than 4" of loose material such as calipers,dividers,toolbit,shavings,allen wrenches,setscrwes,flatwashers,coffee cups and etc."
    12.12-"If at any time a flat surface including but not limited to the floor can be seen through the above mentioned loose material,more loose material shall be purchased and placed on top."
    12-13"Proper coverage is achieved when any machine is turned on and loose material slides onto either the floor or another surrounding flat surface"

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Michael looks great well designed I especially liked the cutter drawers did you cut foam there or what to hold the cutters it looks very neat.
    Any chances of seeing a few pics of your mill and other equpment too? that looks a nice mill Alistair

Leave a comment:

• Michael Az
    replied
    Thanks for all the compliments fellows. Sure is nice to have you guys approve the job! Evan, I do plan on taking good care of the maple. I have two steel benches and two other wood benches so no rough work on this bench! Alistar, it is a Saimp knee mill made in Italy by an old machine company still in buisness. Pretty rare here in the states. It is about half again bigger than a Jhead and uses 30 taper in the spindle. Billr, thanks for the compliment and It would be flattery if you copied this one! I didn't have room for two, so I thought it out and put all the lathe tooling on one end of the bench and the mill stuff on the other end. My lathe and mill face each other so with the bench between them I only have to take a step from either machine to get what I need. rsr911, the only way I can keep my shop clean is to just stay on top of it and clean up when I make a mess. I don't use flood or mist, they are so messy. I just use the old fashioned cutting oil so it isn't so bad. Hoffman, I knew somebody would notice the toilet paper. I was going to remove it but forgot. Evan figured it out, I have lots of wrecks with the mill and lathe and the tp is very handy for cleaning out the shorts. Just kidding, but I haven't found anything better for cleaning up those small messes of oil and chips and then just toss. Elnino, I used my 185 Miller mig and 50 Amp Miller plasma cutter for the fabrication. Thanks again fellows!
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• abn
    replied
    Very nice and inspiring...both the bench and the shop. I wish I was that organized.

Leave a comment:

• shaque
    replied
    hey neat
    wish I wasn't such a slob
    my lathe is mounted on maple stand, but now it is showing signs of oil, etc.
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• zl1byz
    replied
    Nice job. Well done!

Thank you for sharing the pictures with us. Good to see finished projects.

John.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    The toilet paper roll is a good idea, especially when a grinding wheel blows up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X