Roller Calculations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Calculations.

Sheesh. Does anyone have a simple easy painless way of calculating a roller (One half Inch Diameter )Dimension. I mean a angle machined onto a part. Then you are supposed to use a half inch diameter(for example) roller(Tooling Dowel Pin) up against the edges and do mathematics and with a height gauge check your final dimension for accuracy. Wow we never learned that one in the one year college course I took. Any help gentlemen would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou Audrey

Look in Machinery's Handbook under Measuring Dovetail Slides or Slides and Dovetails.
    Jim H.

Comment

Have a look here:-
      http://www.wadeproco.com/
      This is a really useful program.
      Does a lot of the simple day to day maths very easily.
      It does
      * Right angles
      * Compound angles
      * Bolt hole circles
      * Sine bar calculations
      * Arcs & chords of circles
      * Sheet metal bend allowances
      * Feed & speed calculations
      * Roller chain sprocket profile generator
      * Socket head and counterbore data
      * Counter Sink Calculator
      * Material Calculator
      * Taper hole Calculator
      * Tap Drill chart & Calculator
      * Internal & External dovetails

I bought it just for the sprocket generator.
      This was the only program at any price I could find to generate sprockets and it works a treat.
      The guy has a brilliant registration outlook, he says as many computers as you own so you can have it at home, at work and on your laptop all on the same license.
      I paid $15.00 for it and got that back first sprocket
      30 day trial.
      Usual no connection bull$hit except for being a satisfied user.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanx John but I dont have a computer in the workshop. I wish to use paper and pencil and a 7 dollar calculator while my husband and I are in the shop. We are doing more and more intricate complex projects together and lots of math required. Thankyou Audrey. PS We use mastercam and also the guy lautard method of generating spheres ect on the office shop computer but there is none available out in the garage. NO ROOM.Thanx Audrey

Comment

Audrey:

It's difficult to understand from your original post what you're trying to
          calculate.

Can you post a picture of what you're trying to calculate? If you can, I'll
          take a stab at deriving the formulae you need.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
          http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo
          Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
          http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Audrey, This may be what you're looing for:

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/dec02/dec02.html

Just scroll down.
            Den

Comment

Hi Audrey
              I dont know if this is what you are looking for, If not it may come in handy some other time.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...llPinChart.jpg

Regards
              Ivy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by audrey:
              Sheesh. Does anyone have a simple easy painless way of calculating a roller (One half Inch Diameter )Dimension. I mean a angle machined onto a part. Then you are supposed to use a half inch diameter(for example) roller(Tooling Dowel Pin) up against the edges and do mathematics and with a height gauge check your final dimension for accuracy. Wow we never learned that one in the one year college course I took. Any help gentlemen would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou Audrey</font>

Comment

There's no such thing as "easy" shop math; a one step solution to any shop math problem. Some problems are very simple like calculating the tap drill size from nominal diameter and pitch. Some can get quite involved like calculating manufacturing data and change gears for hobbing helical gears. Regardless, a practical understanding of the fundamentals of plaain and solid geometer and trigonometry are part of the basic skills for a machinist.

Calculating sizes over pins for dovetails measuring is low end on the complexity scale. Any problem you're not familiar with looks insurmountable at first glance but once you've worked through it to a good solution you apply in the shop you'll wonder why you thought it was so tough. Dread and intimidation are by far the greatest obsticals to applying shop math.

That said, I strongly reccommend the Wofle and Phelps vocational school text: "Practical Shop Methematics." In it you will find most of the common shop math problems arranged as the user would encounter them along with a path to their solution and some practical exercises. It's almost a recipe book for shop math. It come in two volumes. I reccommend Volume 1 as a fixture on your shop library shelf right next to "Machinery's Handbook."

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 12-16-2004).]

Comment

I am NOT doing dovetals,I am grinding a angle to one thousandth tolerance for a die i am building. The tolerances on fitting blocks with angles touching together within .0005 or so are very close. I need to know how to calculate the actual ground angle of the blocks so they bisecct perfectly. Im building a proggressive die with my husband and I hate it, Audrey

Comment

Hi Audrey,
                    I use roll pin dimensions quite often for grinding shutoffs on injection molds. I don't normally pick a pin diameter to use, I figure out what pin diameter I need because I know what my finished dimension should be. It works either way. I could draw something up for you to use as a reference if it would help. Let us know how you are coming along.

Comment

JOEBY please do post a example. I would be very happy to see it. Thankyou Audrey and Old Man Thanks again

Comment

Audrey,
                        Let's see if this works:

[This message has been edited by joeby (edited 12-20-2004).]

Comment

Hey whaddya know, it worked!
                          Sorry about the sloppy penmanship, thats one reason I never made it in engineering. Look it over and see if it's of any help. My final dimensions were off by .0003, probably rounding error.

Comment

When I first started programming they didn't have "smart" scientific calculators.

I saw a construction calculator much simpler than a scientific one ($40). You can enter your formulas in and it runs them like a computer.

I worked as a engineer for 4 years. I am not that retentive for formulas, I could be asked a question and not know it but five minutes later I did.

Henry Ford said he had a button on his desk to get answers from smart "expert people" They wanted to take his empire away from him in a sanity case.

Ha.. I love it..

David

Comment

I know my husband sure doesnt like his 1989 Ford Pickup. He told me his ford is F------ evil. Today -28 degrees without windchill factor. The ford started OK but another alternator blew again. This will be number eleven being replaced. He has had it checked by numerous garages. No wiring shorts were found, He even ran two extra ground wires to help ground out a old rusty truck, What gives does anyone else have to replace alternators every 6 months to a year"" Audrey

Comment

Working...
                              X