Went to the recycling yard today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to the recycling yard today

Checked out the recycle place today. They only deal in non-ferrous stuff and it's mostly scrap from the air force base. LOTS of cool looking stock out there. I was looking for bar stock but they didn't have any although they said they get some pretty good stuff from time to time. Hows $1/lb sound for aluminum?

------------------
    Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
    Techno-Anarchist

As long as you can identify it that sounds good.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

You mean identify it as aluminum or the alloy? The guy said it's sorted by alloy. They had barrels full of square stock that was left from machining something and lots of castings that were machined/welded.
      Just read your Viking adventure Evan. That's one of my favorite books and movies! I had the DVD but loaned it out...

------------------
      Techno-Anarchist

Comment

I mean positively identify by alloy. There are lots of different alloys with widely varying properties. If it is scrap from aircraft production and/or repair a lot will be 2024. Keep in mind that 2024 is unweldable but machines beautifully and is very strong as well as heat treatable. Some will likely be in the 7000 series as well, same comments apply.

If you haven't already read it here is a description of my time on the set of the movie.

http://vts.bc.ca/extra.htm
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

That's what I was referring to. Sounds like quite an adventure!

------------------
          Techno-Anarchist

Comment

$1 per pound is a great price if it is for all shapes and sizes. We have a military wholesale to the public place in California, called Blue Collar Supply. They offer different steels and aluminums for great prices. They usually have specials ie. a whole truckload of miscut pipe, bars, sheet etc. Then they sell it by the piece at a HUGE savings.
            $1 per pound is better than they offer though.
            Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Comment

I'd feal bad paying anything less than that for aluminum

Comment

Ditto Elninio. I won't mention what I pay for "marked" scraps. It would turn you guys Green.

Comment

Aluminum is $1.33 per pound here in Columbus. $1 is a good price!

Mike P
                  Mike P
                  1919 13" South Bend Lathe
                  1942 Bridgeport M-head Mill

Comment

Where in Columbus,(OHIO?) are you giving that price?
                    mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

I have been selling aluminun discs from a friends shop for a while now. They are a dollar a pound, plus shipping. Posted here on this board, but didn't want to push my luck, even though it isn't mine, and I don't make anything off it, because of the "no for sale" policy. There is a long post on the PM board that I bring back to the top every now and then. 6061 aluminum...marked as such on some of the pieces, but they are all the same stuff.
                      Happy to do shipping quotes, via the post office website.
                      David from Jax

------------------
                      Have gun, will travel.
                      A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

A few years ago I could get aluminum for $.50/lb from the Rockwell surplus distribution store. I still have some 1/2" plates of 6061-T6 and some sheet around 3/32" thick, IIRC. They sold lots of electronic surplus also.

Comment

Working...
                        X