I win!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I win!

I finally got around to addressing the buggered quill power feed on my Bridgeport this weekend. I was terribly concerned that it was going to be complicated and expensive repair. It took me weeks to get a vintage owner's manual with all the appropriate diagrams and stuff before I was willing to just dive in and start taking stuff apart.
    Once I did, what I found was that in a previous attempt at service, some moron had left out the spring clip that holds in the captive half of the quill feed clutch. This means that the clutch wouldn't completely dis-engage and I could partly pull the quill feed lever out the right side of my machine while trying to adjust the quill feed handle. The good news is that with a $.20 spring clip from the Do It center, my quill feed works just fine now!

Yeah, I win!

Once I fixed this problem, it allowed me to use the mill to bore out a bushing and bearing race on my mag chuck for my surface grinder, and replace the needle bearing which I found yesterday at a local bearing supply house for $6.00. I still need to turn a small bushing from brass stock i already have to finish the repair, but that should take less than an hour tomorrow and will cost me nothing.

Total cost to repair the major flaw in each machine that helped me buy them cheap: $16.20 including the 1966 vintage Bridgeport manual I bought off ebay!

Yeah, I win!

John

------------------
    Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.
    Pursue Excellence and the rest will follow.

Great! I feel your joy.

I've faced many tasks, problems, repairs in my career that looked daunting before I started. Many times I started out with no idea how things would or even could be done. But you roll up your sleeves and dig in and things seem to work themselves out. Thing is, you just have to try.

Now, want to sell the Bridgeport?

Just kidding.

Paul A.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Ain't it great when you win! The only problem is that now you've got to sew the buttons back on your shirt.
      To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Never mind, had a blonde moment.
        David from jax

------------------
        Have gun, will travel.

[This message has been edited by sandman2234 (edited 12-24-2004).]
        A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Jeeez, a blonde moment... Never one around when you want one...

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-24-2004).]
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

John
            My, you are ...excitable, ain't we?

The force is strong in you - hoser, eh?

Comment

Working...
            X