EVAN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVAN

How's the snowsnake population doing in your part of the country, seems we're having an epidemic
    Jim
    Jim

I almost never see them around here. They are rarer than hens teeth. I caught one on the weekend trying to slither into the Land Rover. Good thing I looked first before sitting in the seat. Little buggers are really hard to spot in the snow since they are pure white. Apparently they have some sort of fiber optic skin cells that collects sunlight (what there is of it). There is some thought that they may actually be warm blooded and more closely related to birds than reptiles. You should see how the Bear Dog reacts when she comes across one. Funny as all get out, she goes straight up like a cat.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If you've got a lot of them you could be in trouble. You do know that they shed their skin in early February? We had a horrible mess one year...white snake skins all over in the spring. DON'T let your dog roll in them...Whewie...they smell like dead sucker fish!
      Russ
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Don`t forget about ice worms. They live in glacier ice and are pure black. Also, for Foxfire browser users, http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/

Comment

Yep, and the colder it is, larger the snakes.
          Why, you would not believe the sizes I saw in Greenland!

Comment

you know, i've always liked snakes. the saddest thing is on our trip to edmonton this weekend we saw more of them dead on the road than anything. with the snow blowing all over the place you just can't see them untill it's too late. at this rate they will be on the endangered list before long.

Comment

Here is a web page with more information about snowsnakes. Elusive critters.

http://www.naturenorth.com/winter/snwsnk/snwsnk.html

Comment

Are you all sure you don't be long to the Burlington Liars Club
                Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Spin...No we don't...we all work part time in snake oil sales!
                  I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I think they must have failed to "watch out where the huskies go".
                    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

If the photographs are small and crappy, it's BS.

Comment

Anyone ever been bitten by a snow snake? ...are they poisonous?
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Lynnl,

That is sort of like the dolphins. There has never been a recorded attack by dolphins on humans. Of course it could mean that they never get caught. Same with snowsnakes.

It is commonly believed here in skiing country that snowsnakes are responsible for many skiing falls and accidents.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-21-2004).]

Comment

Elusive as they are, I take it there are none in captivity anywhere.
                            I'd also guess they're too shy to be found much around urban areas.
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Snowsnake bites are VERY painfull. However, offsetting that is the fact that the freezing sets in immediately and you never actually feel it. I know it's true 'coz I read it in a book. It was the one that explained where gum boots come from. Poor little gumbaroos...

Comment

Working...
                              X