Laser Mounted on Mill Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laser Mounted on Mill Drill

Some of you may remember that I was thinking of mounting a laser on my MD for repositioning the head and keeping alingment. I finished the job, and am very pleased. The results are outstanding. The first pic is the laser mounted in a socket, and the silver knob is a set screw to keep it in place.
    Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

In this pic, you can see the laser dot projected onto the top of an old magnetic base.

[This message has been edited by Arbo (edited 12-14-2004).]

Comment

More views of your really creatives devices, please.

Jerry

Comment

In this pic, you can see the laser slightly out of alignment. Just line up on the silver mark on the mag base, and adjust the height. Realign on the silver mark, and lock the head down. The repeatability is excellant.

Comment

Thank you for the other views.

Jerry

Comment

hope your mills bolted down
            all the best.mark

Comment

Great idea. Think that I will copy it.
              Ross
              GUNS Don't kill people
              Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

Arbo How about some information on where you got the laser or is it a level? I have thought that one of the pencil types would work for a project like that. I haven't seen any of the pencil types for some time.
                Charlie
                Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

AE,
                  Yes, the mill is bolted down to a very heavy steel stand that has adjustable leveling feet on the four corners.

Charlie,
                  The laser is an older laser level. It is 1" aluminum hex bar that was machined to accept the laser, a battery, and the spirit level on the outside. I got it second hand, so I can't really help with a source. I think pretty much any laser pointer would do the same job. I liked this one, because you can turn it on/off, instead of having to hold a button to activate the laser. The laser level slides into a piece of 1" socket, and has the set screw/ knob to hold it in place.

Comment

I was planning on doing something very similar, only I was giong to shoot the laser across the room at a mirror, then have it reflect back. I'm not as much worried about lifting the head to work more, as I am about lifting the head then moving it back.

Does this make sense?

I'm still on vicadin. Damn wisdom teeth are not healing well. Doc says I am 1 in 20 that doesn't heal as quickly as I should.

-Jacob

Comment

Jacob,

I'm not sure about the mirror thing, but I have heard of people mounting a plumb line on an apposite wall, and using that for a reference point. Using that method, it would be impereative that your machine be PERFECTLY LEVEL. With this system, it is isolated to the machine, therefore taking other variables out of the equation.

Comment

In addition to needing to be perfectly level you find out how good an upside down pendulum
                        a mill drill makes by extending the laser baseline horizontally. Accuracy is improved
                        with a longer baseline but settling time
                        may be a problem. Anchoring the top of the
                        mill drill column would help this (tying to
                        the ceiling or wall with a triangulated brace set up.) When I was leveling my 12x36
                        I found that a little thumb pressure on the bed would move the bubble on a machinists level, long base horizontal laser will move a lot more. Arbo's vertical approach is a nice touch. Steve
                        Steve

Comment

If the laser is not perfectly straight down, it will drift to the side with height adjustment, EVEN IF theoretically the head did not twist during up or down traverse.

Comment

I worked on a similar project. I offset a webcam at a 30 degree angle, put a laser pointer at a fixed offset , turned mill on and passed over the object to scan.

Using a pixel base read from the camera picture looking for a color "spectrum" pixel of the laser you can decipher the actual triangulation of the "real World" points of object dimensions. As you triangulate the object you can pass over it rapidly inputting information into a file.

Of course this is old hat to some " robotics vision" geeks. I did a similar "working" prototype in 88 while working for a carpet mill on a Yarn creeler robot.

Problems? YES, scanned part reflectivity reading in "spots" into the software file.
                            All this is on the backburner at the moment.

You got the first part done there. A rarely used boring head can mount your laser. Using that you can center bearings and holes rapidly. Just turn machine on. Let the circle find the outer edge.

David

Comment

Bill,

You bring up a good point. I will need to do a bit of experimenting and tweaking to get it perfect. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                              X